Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hey everyone, since my circuit breakers are on the other side of my house my pool builder is telling me we need to pull wires through my attic and out the other side of my house.

Maybe I'm just being too nervous here, but I want to avoid any issues down the line when it's time for the build. My attic has blown in insulation and only a small portion has boards to walk around on. About half is just a big pile of insulation that is pretty much impossible to navigate -

IMG_4402.jpeg

Is this something I should bring up with my builder in advance? Or should I just leave it up to the professionals to figure out when the electrical subcontractor comes along? I'm unsure how common a situation this is, and if there's any special planning needed to be done.

That is what most attics look like. You can rake the insulation with your foot and find the truss to stand on. The only concern that I would have with someone getting up there is that they:

1. Do not compress (step on) the insulation.
2. When done and going back out, put the insulation back where it was so not to create hot spots where they had to move it to step on the truss.

People get in attics like this all the time to run new wires electric/cable/network, so I would just leave it to the professionals as long as they follow 1 & 2 above.

As in the pros misstepping and falling through the joists ? Any experienced tech of any kind will shuffle their feet along the joists with the precision of a tight rope walker. The same way roofers just pop on/off their ladders onto dangerous roof pitches (while carrying a 50 lb bunch of shingles). I highly do *not* recommend you try it. The same goes for your attic. But they do it all/every day. :)

Fun story for you in a similar situation. The customer took me into the room below to show me his plaster sculpted ceiling that they would never be able to match if I fell through. It was scalloped and a true work of art from the original craftsmen. It was he way of stressing for me to be careful.

‘Sir........ lemme tell Ya !!! If my leg comes though that ceiling, a *very sensitive body part* will take the full force of my body falling on the joist above. I have more at risk here than YOU do.’

He agreed and thanked me for my full understanding.

• Haha
Reactions: duckcmmndr
That is what most attics look like. You can rake the insulation with your foot and find the truss to stand on. The only concern that I would have with someone getting up there is that they:

1. Do not compress (step on) the insulation.
2. When done and going back out, put the insulation back where it was so not to create hot spots where they had to move it to step on the truss.

People get in attics like this all the time to run new wires electric/cable/network, so I would just leave it to the professionals as long as they follow 1 & 2 above.
Thank you for reassuring me! I'll leave it up to the guys that do this day in and day out then!

Reactions: Newdude
As in the pros misstepping and falling through the joists ? Any experienced tech of any kind will shuffle their feet along the joists with the precision of a tight rope walker. The same way roofers just pop on/off their ladders onto dangerous roof pitches (while carrying a 50 lb bunch of shingles). I highly do *not* recommend you try it. The same goes for your attic. But they do it all/every day. :)
Haha I couldn't go further than a foot past the boards and into the insulation!

Fun story for you in a similar situation. The customer took me into the room below to show me his plaster sculpted ceiling that they would never be able to match if I fell through. It was scalloped and a true work of art from the original craftsmen. It was he way of stressing for me to be careful.

‘Sir........ lemme tell Ya !!! If my leg comes though that ceiling, a *very sensitive body part* will take the full force of my body falling on the joist above. I have more at risk here than YOU do.’

He agreed and thanked me for my full understanding.
I'll stay out of their way for sure! I was more worried that they wouldn't be able to run the line at all given any potential danger. Sounds like they've got it covered!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.