Efficient way to test high FC without using up reagents? (43 target FC)

Overall Pool Water Management, much less a SLAM, is virtually impossible at or above even 90 ppm CYA. over 100 is unrealistic and I think the only way you would say, "i'ts ok" is because you have no personal experience.

So, to the reddit group, "Stop making things up".

Come over to TFP where the vast majority of our advice is from real pool owners with practical and often scientific experience.
Yup. I'll be following TFP from now on. I attempted SLAM at 110 CYA and nope. Wasted $160 on chlorine already and the FC level drops insanely fast.

Home Depot has locations that rent sump pumps for a reasonable cost, but it might be a good investment to purchase one. Try Harbor Freight or similar. I had to do a 2/3 drain twice, years ago, due to very high CYA and my, then, lack of knowledge about how it builds up by using tabs & powdered shock.
I picked up a $65 submersible sump pump from Harbor Freight rated at 3000 GPH. It says not intended for pool use but holy cow this thing is moving water. And if it breaks, it's only $65.

Reactions: Lilypad
My pool is cloudy blue right now so I'll try to get it as close to 30 ppm CYA as I can. I'm just afraid of the cost of the water but I assume it beats chlorine costs SLAMing on a high CYA pool right?
30 is a good target, but if you can get to 40 (i.e., between 30 and 40), you're probably not saving money draining vs higher SLAM level.

Thanks for the warning about not getting under 18 inches! I was planning on draining until the shallow end was very shallow.

So I'm already in the process of draining so I'll just do a drain and refill and test again. I'll stop at around maybe 20 inches and fill it up. After that, if it's not where I want the CYA to be, I'll do the no drain exchange like you mentioned. My pool is cloudy blue right now so I'll try to get it as close to 30 ppm CYA as I can. I'm just afraid of the cost of the water but I assume it beats chlorine costs SLAMing on a high CYA pool right?
Depends on your water cost. Typically it’s not so bad unless you’re on the west side of the country. (And for those on a well it can be tough too.)

My water is public and I'm on the east coast fortunately. I've also heard of using a filter for hard water on the end of the tap but not sure if it's needed.
You should take the opportunity to test your fill/exchange water so you know what you're getting...especially for Calcium Hardness since that's also something you can only fix with a drain/exchange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.