Efficient pool pumps

Any high HP VS pump run at low speeds.

Variable_Speed_Pump_Electrical_Costs.jpg

Is the current pump a single speed pump? If so, any VSP pump would help lower costs. It's typically best to match the brand with your automation system. I estimate that I use $6-10 per month on normal pump operations with my VSP. I have it run about 6 hours this time of year. In the summer, it runs about 10 hours. I run it at 1600 rpms most of the time.

You don't mention automation in your signature, but if you already have a system or plan on getting one that will dictate your choice. If you currently use an Intermatic timer you could just replace the motor. It depends on what your budget will be for the replacement.

Electric bill is keeps climbing. Any recommendations for an efficient pump? Has the Ecopump brand passed muster? Currently using a Pentair whisper 2hp.
EcoPump is a re-branded Waterway Champion pump. They are good, reliable pumps. The motor, while not labeled as such, appears to be a Century motor. The "hype" on the EcoPump website is incredible. If you are looking at the EP-8, it is a standard 2-speed pump, nothing special. You would also need a two-speed control of some type to switch speeds automatically, the pump needs to start on "high" to prime and run your cleaner. Then, switch to "low" for long filter runs that cost much less. That can add a few hundred to the cost. If you are using an Intermatic time clock now, the P1353ME will snap in its place and are around $325.00 online. As they no longer meet D.O.E. 2021 energy regulations, the pump may not be available once stock is depleted.

Which pump do you have now? Your post says 2hp, but signature says 3hp.

If you have the 2hp, a Nidec "Neptune" 2.7 motor would bolt right to your Whisperflow and it becomes a VSP. Usually about $750 - $800 online. Replace the shaft seal, body gasket, diffuser O ring and you are good to go, no re-plumbing needed (do not leave out the impeller screw and gasket, left-hand threaded). No separate control needed, they wire to the breaker directly (GFCB).

A Waterway PowerDefender 2.7 is a good VSP. It comes with the motor listed above (unless someone has an older one with the V-Green 2.7). You may have to do some minor replumbing to install a new pump. About $1295.00 on Amazon with free shipping. You do not want to go with a smaller horsepower pump, especially with your cleaner. You would need to run it at a higher speed and defeat the purpose of a VSP.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: guinness
With the appropriate automation adapter, a generic and relatively inexpensive VSP (Calimar / Circupool / Blue Torrent / Black and Decker) can be controlled by any automation system that has a few unused relays (or space for relays to be added).

I have a 3 hp Calimar VSP controlled by a Jandy iAqualink automation system (three relays to select low/mid/high speeds, whose rpms are set on the pump controller). I've observed huge electricity savings since installing the pump a couple months back - despite the fact that I'm currently running it 20 hours/day to help with skimming during leaf-drop season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.