Effect of dog swimming in the pool

You can use the pool during a SLAM. You let the FC dip just below your CYA/FC SLAM level. I would NOT wear your best suit in the water just in case and rinse the doggy off real good when he is done.

I have NO idea where your CYA went then. Keep an eye on it with a weekly test just to see what is happening and how fast.

Kim:kim:

Swim or don't swim? Spa or no spa? I guess I'll just wait until I get past the SLAM and let the FC drop.

It's a matter of personal preference and personal tolerance. Chlorine at shock levels (40% of CYA) can be quite harsh to some people and other people may not be affected at all by it. I know for me, personally, I could not swim in my pool at SLAM levels; the chlorine would be too harsh for me. Even when my pool is operating normally and I want to sit in my hot, bubbly spa, I will actively dechlorinate the water prior to getting in because normal FC levels in hot, aerated water doesn't feel good to me (I bring the FC levels back up after soaking and let the spa continue to run before dumping it back into the pool).

It's up to you. If you want to try it out in the spa, you can certainly soak for 15mins and then get out to see if you feel any differently. There's no acute or long term danger to trying. The worst that will happen is you might get that hotel pool water feel and smell on you and have to shower off.

ok, so, I guess there are differing opinions on this topic :D
I'm going to ride out the next few days as the forecast is a bit cool anyway. Come mid week, we'll reassess and if we're still SLAMMING, we'll proceed carefully (rinse off after partaking!)
thanks for everyone's input!
Joe

The general rule of thumb is that it is safe to swim up to slam levels...but safe and desirable may be two different things.

I know this thread started re: dogs swimming. I'm allergic but have a "dog-son" who we love and have over to swim on his birthday, and a "dog-daughter" who started her dock-diving career in our pool ;)

I supplement pre-and-post doggie swim with liquid bleach by about 2 ppm above my regular swg settings. I had noticed that my FC consumption increased on doggie days so found this the simplest. With a permanent canine guest, might be easier just to run the FC a nudge higher than TFP spec if you find the phenom continues.

Thanks Swampwoman -
I was thinking of the same approach, if the dog spends any time in the pool, monitor the FC closely and supplement with a small dose of liquid bleach. I'm new to this and have learned that the SWG can't react quick enough for significant dips in FC.
thanks,
Joe

When I did my SLAMs, I turned the SWG to 100%, brought the FC up with bleach and ran the filter 24 hrs. I found that the SWG would usually maintain the SLAM levels. Are you brushing your pool? Have you tried to run water out the air piping in your spa? I would recommend doing both.

I have a slightly different approach to maintaining proper FC levels. We have two dogs, one of which loves to swim (and dive - future dock diver??) My approach before dogs and now with dogs is to run FC higher at all times than the recommended range on TFP. That way I am ALWAYS above the minimum even with higher than normal usage from an event (kids peeing, dogs swimming, etc.) Side note - I think dogs may be more hygienic than many kids! My FC range per TFP for a SWG pool with CYA of 70 is 3-5. I run in the 6-8 range. And on rare occasions I may find myself closer to 4 or 5 if use is unusually heavy. Keeping in mind that by SLAM level is 28 so my "elevated" level is hardly elevated in the scheme of things regarding harshness, but merely slightly above recommended, but it keeps me "safe" at ALL times. This isn't the official TFP line, but how I manage my pool in my circumstances. End result, no algae, some increase cell usage over time and no algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update -
Have kept the FC at SLAM levels, going into day 10. Still dropping 2-3ppm on overnight OCLT. Pool is crystal clear and CC has been .5 consistently. Have been brushing almost daily, and have run through the spa a few times. We have not used the pool during that time - 0 bather load.
Questions:
Should I run through the spa for a longer period, perhaps several hours per day?
I rinsed the filter cartridge at the start of the SLAM, is there any value in rinsing again?
If I start up the SWG to help maintain the FC, I'm assuming I'll need to stop it in the evening for accurate OCLT results.
thanks,
Joe

I just re-read your post Dschlic1 -
By running water out through the air piping, do you mean just running the spa, or is there something else you are referring to?

When I did my SLAMs, I turned the SWG to 100%, brought the FC up with bleach and ran the filter 24 hrs. I found that the SWG would usually maintain the SLAM levels. Are you brushing your pool? Have you tried to run water out the air piping in your spa? I would recommend doing both.

A SWCG can be used to help maintain SLAM levels while you are not present. And yes, the key point is that you must turn it off for the OCLT. So all correct.

The filter cartridges should be rinsed when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. That said, if it makes you sleep better at night to rinse out the cartridges before that, there is no harm in it.

I just re-read your post Dschlic1 -
By running water out through the air piping, do you mean just running the spa, or is there something else you are referring to?

On my spa I remove the eye jets from the spa returns and replace them with some PVC pipe plugs. I then run a hose from the air inlet for the spa to the pool. I then change the filter pump to pump to the spa. This forces your SLAM level water through the air piping as well to clean it.

I have found that adding some algaecide will help the process along. Might want to try it.

If you want PM me and I will send you my phone number so that we can talk.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.