Edit: Changing filter and fixing up the plumbing project.

He called this morning to say that the price was lower than he could get the filter for...
It's rough for small companies. I don't care how big pool place is by you, it ain't no Home Depot or Walmart. 🤣 I took over a small shop and it was the same thing where my stuff was going online or at HD / TSC for a good chunk less than I could get it for. In the industry i inherited, you paid different tiers of dealership fees, and in return that set the dealer cost. Being small, there was no way to afford the higher volume fees to reap the rewards.

It's rough for small companies. I don't care how big pool place is by you, it ain't no Home Depot or Walmart. 🤣 I took over a small shop and it was the same thing where my stuff was going online or at HD / TSC for a good chunk less than I could get it for. In the industry i inherited, you paid different tiers of dealership fees, and in return that set the dealer cost. Being small, there was no way to afford the higher volume fees to reap the rewards.
I get that. And I do appreciate that there are small, local companies out there to pick things up from when needed. And I also have to be mindful of my own family's needs, which includes the budget. So I personally try to strike a balance as much as possible. If the thing I want or need is available locally, I'll buy it locally rather than mindlessly ordering on Amazon just because it's more convenient in that moment. And even Menards or Home Depot has some local impact compared to something like Amazon.

Luckily, I guess, based on the price difference and the guy's comments, the actual filter must not be a high-profit thing for them... I'm sure they are making more profit on the extras and the labor. Just like how when I worked at Best Buy a long time ago, they only made a few bucks on a computer package sale. The profits were in things like printer ink and cables. (No idea how it is now for them...)

And, we pay them a good bit every year to inspect our chimney and fireplace, so they still make some money off of us!

Reactions: Newdude
try to strike a balance
EXACTLY. I absolutely love to keep my money local. Sometimes it's even worth a chunk more to have someone happy to service it if there's any issues. But when it's double the price of $1800, I'll take my statistical chances sourcing XYZ myself.

I received most of my order from INYO Pools today (though the multiport valve for the filter doesn't seem to have been shipped with the things it was supposed to have shipped with... Hopefully they'll make that right without much drama.

This is the Jandy 3-way valve I ordered. I now see there may be somewhat nicer options, but that's ok. I can upgrade when the time comes.

But I'm confused... It is marked with one port as INLET, implying the other two are only for OUTLET... I.e., water goes in one port and can go out two ports.

But with the setup I was advised to order the valve for, I would need to have two ports where water can come in (from skimmer and main drain), and one for it to go out (to the pump).

Is it acceptable to set this valve up so that the INLET port points to the pump? (And the water goes into the other two ports.)

Is it acceptable to set this valve up so that the INLET port points to the pump? (And the water goes into the other two ports.
Yup. I have two 'backwards' 3 ways with 2 skimmer legs on one and the main drain on the other.

Screenshot_20240327_211256_Gallery.jpg

On the return side, the labeling will be correct at least.

The top can be rotated to align INLET with any of the 3 ports.
On the suction side, INLET goes in the diredtion water is flowing TO - toward the pump.
On the suction side, INLET goes in the direction water is coming FROM.

Prior to install, remove the valve cover and the guts. Glue the valve in place (don!t get glue anywhere the internals rotate), replace the guts and align the lid to the appropriate port per the above.

From the manufacturer, INLET is always placed toward the bottom of the "T".

New filter and a bag full of self aligning fittings, along with the 3-way valve and a couple high-temp unions for the pump arrived today. As I said earlier today, the multiport valve for the filter didn't arrive which was very disappointing... I was hoping to make a lot of progress on this over the weekend, but I may be stalled out until that comes. I hope they don't hassle me about that not arriving.

Anyway...

Started out this morning working on the plumbing TO the pump. I was looking at the mess of pipes and adapters in the pipe from the main drain and considered several options, including breaking away more of the old cinder block wall to access the pipe and couple onto it. But I was afraid of breaking the pipe. I eventually went to the pool store (sigh) and they dug up the female half of a coupler in their parts bin that fit the pre-existing coupler (so no need to cut all the stuff out) and sold it to me.

Before heading to the pool store, I took the old valve and coupler half into the local hardware store hoping to find a coupler there, and while I was fiddling with it looking around, a part of the pipe popped right out of the shut off valve! It was like they tried to use some silicone to hold things together. I honestly don't know how it didn't come apart before then.

Cutting some of the narrative short, tonight I got all that replaced with some new plumbing along with the 3-way valve. Now I just gotta wait for the multiport valve to show up so I can set up the filter and it's plumbing!

Previous plumbing to the pump. 1000035729.jpg

Don't know how this didn't come apart before.... maybe why I thought I sometimes was sucking some air. It just popped apart with no effort.

1000035731.jpg

After tonight's effort.

1000035741.jpg

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support