Ecofinish shading

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
We just completed the ecofinish and is it normal to have some shading? How long does it take to install 3 coats?
4421130cf90cd04687425e6bd4382168.jpg
c0504823cac50ee6003a487833fd8511.jpg

I'll refer this to our resident Ecofinish expert, but, IMO once the water goes in there I think it will look lovely.

It looks like water waves to me and certainly matches the shading variations in the deck/fence which look very natural.

Maddie :flower:

The gun should apply 6-700 SQ ft per hour so an average sized pool should take anywhere from 5-8 hours.

The streaking happens when the nozzle is moved too quickly or slow enough to burn/discolor the material. Some of the streaks you are seeing probably won't show once full but there are a couple of spots that definitely will be seen. I would suggest contacting your installer so you don't end up having to drain the pool.

I learned that lesson the hard way on my first pool. I went back to check it out after it was full and noticed a large steak that was bad enough to warrant fixing it. I had to eat the cost of the water and the startup chemicals but it was worth it to me.

No finish will ever be perfect but a poor AB finish almost always looks better than the average plaster job.

BDavis, just re-read your post again, it looks like you definitely see some noticeable streaks and such I have contacted pool guy. you would redo this? This reno has been a kind of pain in the rear

The contractor said he will go over it one more time, which is good. Hopefully it will be better. The disappointing part is now it is June 12 and 90+ outside and although we started this whole process in April I still can not go swimming

This is the spot that I would want fixed:

Screenshot_20170612-070543.jpg

A little variation really won't be seen but streaks that are very uniform will catch the eye for sure. Glad he's going to fix it for you.

Your pool is a little smaller than I thought (roughly 900 SQ ft) so each coat should take a 1.5-2 hours or 5-6 hours total.

Thanks for your help Brian. This has been a frustrating pool build. First the weather has been awful and rain every other day which pushed it all back, A section of coping needs to be redone and now the ecofinish. He said he could recoat within a week or at end of summer. I said lets get it over with ASAP and close this thing out. Our pool is small but enjoyable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nothing yet, this whole project has been one big headache. The contractor has known that we have been going on vacation on june 23rd for about a month. This project started in April and he wanted to get back out here on June 26. Told him unacceptable. He said he will put on another coat which will hopefully smooth things out. And then we need a section of coping fixed as it dips and rises and then they have to fix another section of coping as it has a grinder swirl in it.

We also need to have the expansion joint between the new coping and old concrete deck completed.

I wish they just did the work correctly to begin with

Sorry it's a struggle ... If it helps .. my AB refurb was longer and the same kinds of struggles ... Signed in March and just finished .. drained or partially drained the pool at least 8 times for rework and repairs

Sorry to hear that Silver_2000.

The boss of the concrete company that did our coping came by on Saturday and looked over the coping and said the whole thing needs to be redone. And the employee who did has been fired. This just gets better and better

rlefig We spent the weekend in the pool. It really is looking good.

I spent a couple hours cleaning up some of the remaining issues. Some acid washing and some putty knife work to clean up, tile, grout and other issues.
I eventually got tired of expecting a professional job and didnt want one thing to get fixed and have something else wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.