EasyTouch with Screenlogic2 setup issues..

a500drvr

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 21, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
First of all, I am a long-time lurker, and this is my first post. The pool has been trouble-free since its installation seven years ago.

I used this forum for all planning, equipment, and water chemistry: to buy the test kits, follow other builds, troubleshoot, etc. So, thanks for all the information.

Recent issues:
-- I replaced IC40 (7 years), and they all say how lucky I am.
-- Then I couldn't connect via Protocol Adapter/ PC. My phone worked locally and remotely. Troubleshoot with Pentair they were clueless ( solution replaced PA)
-- Then spa heat wouldn't stay on... It started but stopped (troubleshooting with Pentair, and replaced a thermal regulator). I forgot the error on the MasterTemp
-- Then I couldn't get the Spa heat to work.. Troubleshoot with Pentair This was caused by when Spa was turned on the Main pump would not turn on, so no water flow...( Their solution replace easy touch control board) The system was stuck in freeze mode) -- I said, wouldn't the cheaper, easier solution switch out Temp sensors first? ( we changed out the sensors) -- didn't fix it

-- switched out control board -- System works 90%

Here is the issue I am having and need assistance with:
--Pool will turn on and operate --- 2 Jandy valves operate and are set to pool supply/return
--Spa will turn on and heat - both Jandy valves move to the Spa side and work

-- The feature for the Spa spillway does NOT work -- The Jandys move but the main pool VSF pump does not come on.

Called Pentair for help with configuration of Screenlogic -- No help only confusion, they can look at configs but didn't fix anything, so I am here looking for help..

Through troubleshooting, he mentioned that he felt the IntelliFlo was wired wrong based on the LCD on the Motor, and that was the cause of all my issues, although it has operated fine for 7 years. So that is one issue to address or change—power from CB goes to the line side of the filter pump relay. Is this correct? Do I need to pull a new line from CB to motor? or switch wires on filter pump relay?

Second issue is AUX 5 should control Spa Spillway.. so switch Jandys and turn on pump ( what is the proper config?) in Screenlogic as pump does not turn on.. But this should only turn 1 Jandy..take water from pool, return water to Spa

I would like to understand Screenlogic programming better than the Pentair guide... Best practices, speeds for VSF, cleaner etc

@Jimrahbe IMG_3079.jpgIMG_3083.jpg

Your pump should be wired to the Line side of the Pump/Filter relay.. Just move the pump's wires from the Load side to the Line side. Leave the White and Yellow wires on the Load side.

What does the Spa button do?? Is it just the blower??

Do you have the actual Spillway function set up on your EasyTouch? If so, then the Spillway Circuit needs a speed assigned.. On this page. Note that if you change the Pump "Type" is will wipe out all your speeds...

My time is up for today.. Ask questions and I'll be back tomorrow..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim R comes through again..... Thanks for the quick and accurate reply.

I spent over 1.5 hours on the phone with Pentair Automation, and all they could come up with was that the pump was wired wrong. They never could figure out the circuit issue. I explained that the pool and spa worked.

Yes, the Spa button is just a blower... The bubbles in the spa --WhisperfFlo

When I have light, I will change the VSF wire to the Line side in the morning. As the picture shows, it is on the Load side. It's an easy fix. Will that make me change any settings? I don't believe it will.

I am attaching my ScreenLogic config for review. If anything is wrong or can be done better, I am fully open to suggestions, as Pentair is of no help. And their guides leave a lot to be desired. A best practices guide would be great.

I did have a question about Load Center Valve assignments-- I think in the past they were "Unused" --

The pump page before your suggestion did not have a speed; here is what I have now.

Circuits.pngConfigure_Other.png

IntelliFlo_4.png

Again, thanks for the quick response, the accurate diagnosis, and the help......

Ted B

Ted,

Your Intake and Return valves should be connected to the Intake and Return ports on the main card. (Just making sure..) They operate off a fixed program, so they do not get assigned to circuits like valves A and B..

I see you have valve A and B assigned to "Pool"... :scratch: If you have no water feature valves, then it won't matter, but if you do have other valves, they would need to be assigned to A or B with their Circuit Names.

How long do you run the Spillover mode?? 3450 seems awful fast.. The purpose of the spillover mode is to replace the water in the spa with fresh chlorinated water from the pool.. I don't care what speed you run, but 3450 should be like a tidal wave.. :mrgreen: You should schedule this to run 1/2 hour twice a day. I assume that when your spa waterfall is not on, that the spa does NOT continually spillover into your pool. Generally, you use the spillway function in place of the continuous spa spillover when in the Pool mode.

Changing the pump wiring will have no effect on operation or programming.. It will allow you to use the pump's display when in the Service mode. And it should stop any "pump power alarms" if you have been getting them.

The idea behind a VS pump is to run it as slow as you can and still get the job done.. In my mind that speed should be what it takes to just turn on your SWCG plus 100 RPM.. I have no heater so I can run at 1200 RPM.. With a heater, my guess would be 1500 to 1700. You are running at 2050. Not a lot of difference, but you can slow it down if you wish..

If you will show me all your schedules, I'd be glad to check them as well.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Again, thanks for the review and Input.. I'll answer in order.

I changed the valves A and B in an attempt to troubleshoot and figure out what was going on. Pentair again didn't offer any insight or direction/explanation. Thanks for the clarity—I changed them back to UNUSED.

Spillover was scheduled for 30 minutes a day to change the water, as you say. Last night, I had it at 1500, but that was a dribble. I need to play with the speed to give the effect and turn over the water. Before this PA, Screenlogic/EasyTouch Board changed—I think it was misconfigured, and I don't remember any speed assignment.

First -- you must be clairvoyant as this bugged me forever... Changing over the load/line in several hours..

alarm.png

And yes, I will use your experience to review my scheduling. Below is the schedules as of now... and other screenshots.

The pool circuit is the pool cleaner. I manually switch from the skim circuit and the pool sweeper when I feel it's needed. I have thought of adding a Jandy to this valve to automate more. Ideas from anyone are appreciated.

schedule.png

Here is the home screen - as others have said, messed with Screenlogic many times and Im not sure it pulls accurate location info..

overall.png

I run the SWCG at this level in the summer when the pool schedule is on... Spa is used on weekends, so don't run during that time, it could be based on recommendations.

salt.png

Overall, it's been a sound system. I set up all the automation via Screenlogic myself. Any input, changes, or best practices would be appreciated.

Ted B

Ted,

I don't see any issues with what you have..

Just want to confirm that you are only running the pump from 8 am until 2 pm each day..

If so, your cell is running the same schedule 8 am until 2 pm..

What I was looking for was something wrong like this..

Pool 8 am to 2 pm
Cleaner 2 pm until 8 pm.

With the above schedule the pump would run for 12 hours, but the cell would only run for 6 hours.. "Cleaner" will not close the pump/filter relay so the cell will not work.. Just wanted to make sure you did not have this problem, and you don't

The only problem is see is that when the cell shuts off at 2 pm, you need to have enough FC in your pool to stay in your FC target range until the pump comes back on the next day at 8 am..

I run my pump 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM because I like making a little chlorine all the time, and skimming all the time. I also like the look of the water when there is a little motion.. This costs me less than $20 bucks a month, but then I don't have "time-of-day" rate charges..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks again. Yes, I only run both on the same schedule. We do have the time of use, but I end it before the rates go up. So far the FC stays where it needs to be.. Thanks to this forum, I do all my testing and buy from TF Test Kits...

Ill play with lower RPMs for all the settings... Save the money..

Again, all the advice/input and quick response are very much appreciated.

Ted B

Reactions: Jimrahbe