Easytouch with Screenlogic AND wireless remote possible?

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
Hello everyone, I'm back with more questions! This time about automation and remotes!!

I have an easy touch 8 system with the screen logic hardware so I can access from my phone/pc. Is it possible to also add on a remote to it for those times I don't have my phone or whatnot?

I added a picture of the remote I think I can use if I didn't have screen logic. Again, not sure if both can be used together.

Thanks!

Attachments

• remote.JPG
    remote.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 15
There are also Pentair wired remote models. I have one near my indoor HVAC thermostat and home automation touch screen, making it my "command center." The remote mimics all the functions of my EasyTouch, and connects to the system with the same four wires that connect my ScreenLogic interface to my EasyTouch. I don't like wireless solutions when wired is available, so it was not only possible but worth the effort to run the wires between components. Others, rightfully, like wireless connections for the lightning strike resistance they can provide.

While I would not want to run an EasyTouch without ScreenLogic, I use this wall remote significantly more often then I use ScreenLogic for everyday functions and status checks.

control central.jpg

There are also Pentair wired remote models. I have one near my indoor HVAC thermostat and home automation touch screen, making it my "command center." The remote mimics all the functions of my EasyTouch, and connects to the system with the same four wires that connect my ScreenLogic interface to my EasyTouch. I don't like wireless solutions when wired is available, so it was not only possible but worth the effort to run the wires between components. Others, rightfully, like wireless connections for the lightning strike resistance they can provide.

View attachment 168871

looks good! I typically like wired as well, but would like a wireless remote for the patio. It's not super urgent, but I think id like it. Maybe ill change my mind next season and go with a wired setup

You replied before I added a second sentence to that post. Location, location, location! I don't "wear" my phone when home. So my wall remote gets used more often than my SL app because it's located in a spot in my house that I most walk past throughout the day. Whoever plotted the thermostat there did me.a favor for that reason, so that was the logical location for the rest of my controllers. Now that you mention it, my second most handy spot would be near the patio I sit at while watching the kids in the pool.

But full disclosure, these Pentair remotes have the same, awful interface that the EasyTouch does, where you have to slog through multiple tiny screens to get at settings. I mostly use mine for the five buttons controlling my primary functions, and to check the outdoor air and pool temps, and to see if the pump and/or solar heater are engaged. To change any settings I use my office computer running ScreenLogic, and sometimes my iPhone's SL app.

I would most like do the same, just use the buttons for simple stuff, pump on/off, bubblers on/off, lights on/off, etc...something easy for the kids or guests. At $600 for convenience, its not a priority, but would would like it eventually.

Because I didn't go wireless, I talked my wired model out of the pool guy for about $150, so that made the decision to get one easier, for sure...

Reactions: MiguelACA
Run a Cat 6 ethernet cable, or two, while you're at it. I put a PTZ pool cam on the corner of my patio. It can see the pool and two sides of my yard, including the pool gate I like to keep locked (and verify it's locked). With a POE cam (power over ethernet), you only need the ethernet cable to run the cam, as it carries the power, too. Same dealio: wired instead of WiFi = better reliability. The other cable could be used for intercom, or WiFi extender, etc. I installed a POE switch that powers all my cams. Made installation of the video system pretty easy. Anywho, the point was, a pool cam is very handy for keeping an eye on the pool while you're away, or from the other side of the house: stray animals, water level, algae outbreak, randy teenaged neighbors, you know, all the usual suspects!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah, a fellow tech geek lol. I have a few POE cams around the house, plus some Ring cameras. I have a cat5e drop to the patio hooked up to a mesh node for wifi for the backyard. One of my POE cameras gets the patio and part of the pool, the floodlight cam gets the whole pool and backyard. I do want to upgrade the cameras and NVR at some point. They work for now. One day ill have to do all new cat 6 drops, but for now it works. I have 3 nodes and 2 switches, wired backhaul for all 3 nodes and every room has a hardwire connection available. If I can use hardwire, I do!

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk
Cams don't need much. Cat 5 will likely last you, well, forever. I have some long runs, plus the POE, I wanted the extra wire gauge and shielding (as the cables criss-cross with Romex everywhere). In reality, that is likely overkill.

Geek on! 🤓

Just buy a cheap Amazon tablet with a otter box case and boom, you have a waterproof wireless touchpad. I have also seen people wore sonoff 4 channel WiFi switches to the spa remote port for Alexa or google home integration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.