Easytouch Solar Programming Help

Jul 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Just added thermal solar to my Easytouch8 controlled in-ground pool/spa.

I have a schedule set to run the filter pump 8-5 everyday. When the pump is running, the solar kicks in when the roof-mounted solar sensor temp exceeds the water temp by the START differential programmed (default 6 deg), and shuts off automatically when the RUN temp differential (default 3 deg) is reached, or the set point is reached.

I'm on time-of-use metering, and before I installed solar, only ran the pump at night. I would like to keep daytime pump run time to the minimum, and
I am trying to figure out if Easytouch can be programmed for the filter pump to come on ONLY when the solar temp conditions are met,
i.e. solar and pump will turn on/off at the same time.

I know I can set my pump to run at a low RPM when solar is not active, but it still hurts to run it during peak rates. Everything runs fine, and I have also successfully modified the panel to allow me to run the gas heater at the same time as solar.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do not have Solar, but a quick run through of the EasyTouch manual implies you can run it without the pump being set to run for other purposes. Just set it up and if the temperature differential kicks in, the system starts.

I might be missing something, so others with an EasyTouch and Solar will hopefully join in.

Take care.

b,
'
I don't have solar, but it appears to me all you need to do is set up a main pump speed for 'Solar'...

If the pump is running it should just ramp up to "Solar Speed" and if the pump is not already running, it should come on and ramp up to "Solar Speed"..

I'd try it out, but I use my Solar output for other things and don't want to screw my system up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

For anyone interested, I got my answer from Pentair. The Intellifo filter pump needs to have the Pool circuit removed from its association. You do this on the screen where you associate circuits to a pump, and assign an RPM. Now, when Pool is activated (either through a program schedule or manually), the pump will not run unless Solar kicks in (Solar has a speed assigned to the pump).
I will need to call up another circuit assigned to the pump when I need to run the filter pump without solar, as the Pool circuit will no longer start the pump.

Hmm - that's odd. The only way your SWCG will operate is when the POOL circuit is on.

Let us know how it works out.

You're absolutely right about the SWG. The SWG comes on when the Pool circuit is activated, and requires a minimum flow. (SWG normally gets wired to the Pool power relay). To avoid damaging the SWG, I will have to move it over to the Solar relay, or set up a separate circuit and schedule for filtering with SWG.

This seems more complex than necessary. If you set up your solar circuit with an rpm greater than the pool circuit, it should supersede the pool circuit when called for.

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.