Easytouch relay pre-wired for chiller ok to use for Stenner 120v?

GP2

Apr 4, 2019
Houston, TX
We had plumbing and prewiring done for a future chiller, but we won’t decide to install for at least another year and may not install the chiller at all. Meanwhile I’m going to install a Stenner for chlorine before his summer so I’m looking into best options for that..

Stenner options I’m considering:
-Stenner Econ t with integrated timer. No change to current system. Use existing receptacle near bleach tank.
- use the relay and wiring intended for the future chiller to install a easytouch-controlled receptacle and get an M series fixed rate Stenner to control from there. If we get a chiller later I’ll have to get a wifi timer to control the Stenner from a regular receptacle since I don’t think I have another spare relay.

Any thoughts on these two options? Basically determines which Stenner I get since I don’t think I can simply turn off the Econ t timer to use it with the easytouch.

Can anyone help confirm the chiller relay will work as-is to control a 120v receptacle/Stenner? It’s my AUX6 relay shown in the picture.

I suppose It could be improved by getting power from the main pump relay instead of how it is now (this is probably not ideal for a future chiller either!!)

Easytouch8 currently: F=Main_pump, Aux1=Spa_blower, Aux2=SPA_2nd_Pump, Aux3=Waterfeature, Aux4=Pool_light, Aux5=Spa_light, Aux6=future_chiller, Aux7=ledge_lights

Thanks!
4F47F314-EC6C-4BE9-ADA6-28DB859A0847.jpeg

Last edited:

Seems to me that you would only want the Stenner to dump chlorine when the pool pump is running... To me that means using the output off of the pump/filter relay.

Any relay will work, as long as you can ensure that the pump is running when the Stenner is pumping...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Yep, a runaway chlorine injector can wreak havoc on your equipment and create an unsafe situation. Since you are running a pump without a ph/ orp controller with integrated flow sensing, you should definitely power it from the pump circuit. Even then, if the pump has any problems, such as loss of prime, it will still be an issue. I would recommend the use of a controller, or at least an inline flow switch, to ensure safe operation.

I ran my Stenner from a circuit like what you are proposing. I made sure the Stenner comes on 5 minutes after the pump in the programming start / stop times. I guess like what was mentioned above could happen if the pumped failed, but so far so good.

Thanks All, yes I was thinking to use the Aux6 relay (currently a placeholder for a chiller) to schedule the stenner during the pump cycle. I only need an hour at most running the 22gpd stenner. Limited experience here with wiring so was worried about the changes needed to get the 240v on the pump relay over to Aux6 @120v. I also think i would then have to connect Aux7 directly to Aux5 since Id be removing Aux6 from the series (that part looks easy enough but the pump/filter relay has a lot more going on with other tie-ins and 240v). Assuming I would need to tie in to one of the connections in the upper left relay in the picture?

Also, can you tell if I would be able to add one more programable relay in the future (Or use solar) if I add a chiller, so that I can keep both the stenner and the chiller with automation? Im currently using all 8 relays in the box and have a heater.

Thanks! Garrett

Attachments

• AAD621F7-5EDC-4D0D-BDD3-3F011E4404D6.jpeg
    AAD621F7-5EDC-4D0D-BDD3-3F011E4404D6.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 6
#7 is microbrite ledge lights. #4 and 5 are pool and spa light. . . I wanted to control ledge lights and pool light separately, and I think the installer may have separated them after the initial wiring was done. Im just now realizing thats probably why the chiller is #6 and in between the light relays!

F=filter_pump, Aux1=Spa_blower, Aux2=SPA_2nd_Pump, Aux3=Waterfall pump, Aux4=Pool_light, Aux5=Spa_light, Aux6=future_chiller, Aux7=ledge_lights

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.