EasyTouch Heat Pump Wiring

jwarrick

Jun 19, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello. I bought a house and there is some relatively old equipment that I’m trying to set up better.

I have everything working except the heat pump automation.

There is an EasyTouch (firmware v1.05) and ThermalFlo heat pump.

I bought a comm cable (yellow/green) and hooked it up for J20 on the easytouch. Pin 2 and 3 in the ThermalFlo comm port.

I’m not seeing any communication. I’ve seen a setting on other EasyTouch systems to turn on the Heat Pump comm. This one doesn’t have any option like that.

Am I stuck setting the heat pump as a relay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

The reason your ET does not have heat pump communications is there are two versions of the EasyTouch.[

Version 1 are EasyTouch boards shipped prior to 5/5/2008. They cannot be programmed with version 2.010 or higher. The flash memory on the older board is a MC9S12A64 1x16x64k device and doesn't have enough flash memory for the new firmware.

Version 2 of EasyTouch uses a C9S12A128 1x16x128k device with double the memory.

The firmware version on an Easytouch 1 board is frozen in time at 1.060, whereas the Easytouch 2 version is 2.180 as of January, 2020.

J,

You are trying to control with RS-485. I suggest you just use the fireman's loop and connect to the Gas connection on the EasyTouch.

In the manual it is under "Relay Remote control".

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

The reason your ET does not have heat pump communications is there are two versions of the EasyTouch.[

Version 1 are EasyTouch boards shipped prior to 5/5/2008. They cannot be programmed with version 2.010 or higher. The flash memory on the older board is a MC9S12A64 1x16x64k device and doesn't have enough flash memory for the new firmware.

Version 2 of EasyTouch uses a C9S12A128 1x16x128k device with double the memory.

The firmware version on an Easytouch 1 board is frozen in time at 1.060, whereas the Easytouch 2 version is 2.180 as of January, 2020.

Hello Allen, thank you for the information. I was about to order the equipment to flash it but did read the limitations of v1. If I'm understanding correctly, v1 can't use the RS-485 to communicate with heat pumps. If I found a used v2 board, could I replace just that part?

J,

You are trying to control with RS-485. I suggest you just use the fireman's loop and connect to the Gas connection on the EasyTouch.

In the manual it is under "Relay Remote control".

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hello Jim. I did try to connect with the Gas connection on the EasyTouch. I didn't see any communication between the 2 units. However I was using the top left comm connector (attached image).

I did find the instructions the manual for remote relay control. But it's not 100% clear to me.

I believe I should connect the COM and POOL (see the board at the bottom left of center) to the GAS HEATER (fireman's switch) on the EasyTouch. Is that correct?

81xOTUYrsOL.jpg

Hello Jim. I did try to connect with the Gas connection on the EasyTouch. I didn't see any communication between the 2 units. However I was using the top left comm connector (attached image).

I did find the instructions the manual for remote relay control. But it's not 100% clear to me.

I believe I should connect the COM and POOL (see the board at the bottom left of center) to the GAS HEATER (fireman's switch) on the EasyTouch. Is that correct? If so, does the wire polarity matter?

View attachment 425956

I believe you can.

Why are you set on wanting to control the HP with RS-485 instead of the firemans switch?
I was looking for communication between the display on the 2 units. On second thought, that doesn't seem to be useful if the easytouch can control the unit without having to use a relay.

J,

Yes, you would use the Com and Pool pins on the heater card.

There will be no actual "communications" between the heater and the EasyTouch..

Basically, a small voltage goes out of the pool connection and travels to the EasyTouch. When it gets to the gas heater connection, it just stops. When the EasyTouch calls for heat, a small internal relay closes and this connects the two gas connector pins. This allows the voltage that is coming from the heater to loop right back to the heater on the Com connection wire. This tell the heater to fire up.

You have to have the heater set to "remote relay control" and have it set to max hot temperature.

The EasyTouch will monitor the water temp and if below the set point you want, it will close the little relay telling the heater to heat. Once the EasyTouch sees that the pool water has reached the set point temperature, it will open the little relay and the heater will turn off. It will turn the little relay on and off to keep the pool at your set point temp.

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

Yes, you would use the Com and Pool pins on the heater card.

There will be no actual "communications" between the heater and the EasyTouch..

Basically, a small voltage goes out of the pool connection and travels to the EasyTouch. When it gets to the gas heater connection, it just stops. When the EasyTouch calls for heat, a small internal relay closes and this connects the two gas connector pins. This allows the voltage that is coming from the heater to loop right back to the heater on the Com connection wire. This tell the heater to fire up.

You have to have the heater set to "remote relay control" and have it set to max hot temperature.

The EasyTouch will monitor the water temp and if below the set point you want, it will close the little relay telling the heater to heat. Once the EasyTouch sees that the pool water has reached the set point temperature, it will open the little relay and the heater will turn off. It will turn the little relay on and off to keep the pool at your set point temp.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you very much! I will try it later today and report back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.