Easytouch contoller with V-Green VSP and Solar heating

Jack Parker

Sep 13, 2019
San Jose
The goal is: keep the VSP at low-speed when doing filtering and sweeping, but kick the pump up
when using solar (because need to get full flow to the solar panels 20-feet up on the roof).
But not do high speed if the Solar temp is cool/cloudy.

Several threads have poor documentation of the Pentair Easytouch controller,
and searching TFP did not find satisfactory answers for how to integrate the V-Green variable speed pump with Easytouch.

For me, the missing part was documentation of the electrical design of the various 2-pin "aux" connectors.
For the record: they apply 24-volt DC when activated.
(which is implicit when you read how the aux connectors trigger the HV relays)

After a few missteps, and trying a few sub-optimal approaches, I find that it is quite simple!
AND: you don't need any new Features/Circuits/Schedules!
(which is nice because I don't have any fancy control devices, just the stock keypads)

The well documented V-Green VSP motor (RegalBeloit, AO-Smith, Century) is supplied
with a [proprietary] serial port logic control and a simple relay driven control of the speeds.
Step-1 is the default, but a highest numbered "Step" will be used when selected.

My solution:
1. Program Step 1 (the pump default) for LOW speed filtering
2. Program Step 2 for the higher speed needed to drive the solar
3. wire the digital motor control for Step-2 to the "Solar" output on the Easytouch

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 3.27.45 PM.png IMG_20190915_143432.jpg IMG_20190915_143705.jpg IMG_20190915_143732.jpg

Note: pump will start in "priming" mode (2600 RPM) for 3 minutes before honoring Step-1 or Step-2.

Reactions: SacPoolPro
Jack,

The EasyTouch is made to talk to the IntelliFlo pump via an RS-485 data cable...

I can't think of any reason to use the V-Green pump... :scratch:

That said, I am glad you were able to come up with a work around...

Thanks for the info as it might help others...

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.