ottawa, ontario, canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So my easytouch has an indoor panel as well as the app. When I turn on the heater using the easy touch indoor panel, the heater does not come on. I think it used to though. I cannot remeber what I did but I must have changed some settings because I think the heater button on the easytouch panel assumes one has a spa. I can control the heater via the app, but I have to use the pool heat setting. I am not sure why the easytouch is setup like this, but it is and I guess in hindsight, it’s better to have the button work vs only the app. Does anyone know why the easytouch thinks the heater is the spa and what I need to set to resume the “original” way it was working ?

i will take a screenshot like that tomorrow when I am at my desk with the pentair app.
i do not have a spa.

it seems to me, i used to be able to touch the heater button on the indoor easy touch controller, and the heater would come on.
then i changed a setting and now that button does nothing.

i can only turn my heat on and off from the app... which suggests to me that button on the indoor easy touch is Spa only?
i have to somehow setup the easy touch so that it thinks my pool heater is a spa heater i guess?

Aaron,

What specific Remote and what specific button???

In ScreenLogic, there is a set up page that assigns buttons to circuits for indoor remotes.. Find the button and see what it is supposed to do.

You just need to learn how your EasyTouch works.. I suspect that something is just set up wrong.

Thanks,

Jim R.

here's a screenshot of the screenlogic heat settings, and a photo of the "heater" button on the indoor panel I was describing.
when I touch the button on the indoor panel, the display indicates my "spa" is on... i dont have a spa. you can see in the photo I had touched the button, turning it green, and the display says SPA.

(temps are in celsius).

1623849766237.png

1623849840511.png

Aaron,

You are 100% correct... See this manual page 3 https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/pentair-controls-easytouch-indoor.pdf

Most buttons are programmed by the user.. But, for that remote, the button marked "heater" is a one touch button that puts the system in the Spa mode, turns on the pump and starts the heater.

Try pushing the "P" button.. It appears that will do the same thing but in the Pool mode. I don't have a remote, so don't have much background in what they do.

It is not a problem, but I find it odd that neither your Pool or Spa icons are green on the display above.. My system is always either in the Pool mode or the Spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

On the ScreenLogic, neither is green because at the time I took that photo, my system schedule was “off”. It runs from 7pm-7am(overnight). When the pool schedule is active, the pool button is green.

as for the indoor wall remote, it seems to just replicate most of the outdoor panel.

I am pretty sure even the outdoor heater button on the outdoor panel doesn’t turn the heater in either. The heater only seems to come on now if I activate it in ScreenLogic. Maybe I need to use the “spa” mode for heat and that way the indoor remote button will work.

Aaron,

In the big picture, since you don't have a Spa, it won't matter at all if you use the "spa" button on your remote to turn on the heater..

Since you have no valves to switch between the pool and the spa mode, the EasyTouch can't tell the difference between heating the Pool or heating a Spa.

The button that you have labeled "Heater" is actually the Spa button.. It turns on the Spa, pump and heater.. Try using the "P" button and see if that does not turn on the heater in the Pool mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all the tips Jim.
I should have explained better what I want to do.

1) I want to run my pump over night, 7days a week (7pm-7am), I have the heater set point kinda low, as I dont always want to apply max heat to the water.
2) I have a schedule for this, and it works well
3) my wife and kids often want to turn the heater on, on-demand. Ideally they could just touch a button on the indoor remote/panel
4) The P button does work to control to pump from the indoor remote/panel. And if the heater setpoint on the pool is high enough, yes the heater comes on
5) the trouble with keeping a high setpoint, is that my pool will also be heating at night, which I dont want
6) I was hoping I could either configure the "heater" button to work as an on-demand call for heat that my wife and kids can use

is this possible? it seems to me, it used to work this way! but then across seasons I must have changed a setting somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my wife and kids often want to turn the heater on, on-demand. Ideally they could just touch a button on the indoor remote/panel
You will need to create a Circuit Function for that. Use an Egg Timer for however long you want it to run.

yes, I contemplated creating an elaborate schedule.

it would work except for 1 part... if the pool is already on, when my kids touch the P button(to get heat), it wont start heating.

there must be a way... 1 or 2 seasons ago, turning on the "Spa" heat by touching the "heater" button would actually heat the pool.
I will have to hunt in the settings of the easytouch to figure it out.

I think what it was setup as, was as if I DID have a spa. this would enable the button on the remote to work for the kids/wife.

and so the pool was setup as if it was NOT heated... I think... going off cobwebs here... I of course changed it to be more "logical" to say "heater on pool"... but now I have a new problem.
and also, if you recall in another thread, I was speculating the easytouch & screenlogic schedules might be doing something funky where it was treating a scheduled set point in F, as C (which is bad!) I dont want my pool to be able to hard boil an egg.

You will need to create a Circuit Function for that. Use an Egg Timer for however long you want it to run.
interesting idea! I will see if this suits. as others have said, it's not like I can blow anything up. the worst that can happen with me messing around is the heater would just run non-stop, which I would notice after a day I should hope.
With a circuit function as an egg timer, does this mean on of the other circuit buttons on the indoor remote would basically be like a "2 hr run the heat" command?

Aaron,

You normally use an egg-timer to automatically shut off a circuit that you have manually turned on.. The default egg-timer is 12 hours, but you can set it for whatever time you want..

My fill line is that way.. I only turn it on manually and it shuts off after one hour.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.