easytouch 8, pentair ic60,screenlogic - communication lost

prasadkm0204

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2015
Santa Clara,CA
Hi,

I recently got my pool replastered and during this process added a ic60 to convert my pool into swg.
Its over 30 days, so I added appropriate amounts of salt and kept pump running for 24+ hours. The red light on the swg turned green (salt level) , flow light is green and i set the output to 40%.

I had to enable chlorinator using the 'SL config' app. After this, I see the intellichlor settings on the 'screelogic' app, but it says communication lost.

I can get in touch with the builder, but wondering if there is an easy fix for this. See attached screenshot.

Thanks,
Prasad

Attachments

• IMG_7343.jpg
    IMG_7343.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 7

I assume your EasyTouch did not come with an internal SWCG power center.. This means that you have an external power center..

Did you add the required com cable between the external power center and J20 com port on the EasyTouch board?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: prasadkm0204

I assume your EasyTouch did not come with an internal SWCG power center.. This means that you have an external power center..

Did you add the required com cable between the external power center and J20 com port on the EasyTouch board?

Thanks,

Jim R.
There are 3 cables (2 black and 1 green) going from powercenter to the easy touch board though I am not sure which is the j20 com port. see attached pic.
I will probably call the PB to come and take a look.

Attachments

• IMG_7344.jpg
    IMG_7344.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 25
The J20 com port is located in the low voltage area behind the control panel. Lower the control panel to find it.

I do not see a wire running from the IC power center to the low voltage runway (far left of the ET).

Prasad,

Very easy to do yourself.. Just make sure the entire EasyTouch is off when you do it..

Go to home depot and get a 4 wire cable with 22 gauge wires... Long enough to go between your SWCG power Center and the main board in your EasyTouch.

The Instructions on what wires to connect to what pin is in the following SWCG manual page 24..

Let us know if that does not make sense and we can try to walk you through it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi @Jimrahbe , I just finished the installation. It was not easy as I thought it would be and I definitely did not do a good job.

1) On the easy touch panel, there were already 4 wires going into it. In addition to this, there was also 2 more ( 1 green, 1 black). It was a hassle to fit in 4 additional from the intellichlor, but I somehow made it through.

2) I probably need to get one of the pipes to conceal the wire from intellichlor to easy touch. Right now, I just used one of the holes, but the 5 wire cable is hanging out. Not a big deal I would think.

3) Fitting the 4 wires on the intellichlor was equal hassle since there is no access to tighten/loose the screws. Maybe there is a small screwdriver that would fit in that space or maybe there is a way to remove the section of the panel that connects the 4 wires, but I could not figure that out. I just inserted the wires and taped it so it doesn't move.

On the bright side, I noticed that I can now control the percentages in 1% increments which is amazing!

Lastly, I noticed that the salt level shown by the intellichlor is 3150, but per my tests ( taylor drop test) it is 3400. The reccommended level is 3600. I think its safe to add another 40 lb bag which in my case increases the salt level by 200 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
P,

The IntelliChlor's salt test is +/- 600 so not that accurate... That is why having the Taylor K-1766 is so important..

I do not like the "actual" salt level to get above 3500... Too salty for me. As long at the cell reports 2800 or above I am happy.

I usually try to run with the cell reporting 3200..

I'd call 3150 good.

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

You can buy a bus-extender which just adds more places to plug RS-485 things in..

Or you could just take all the wires going into pin 1 and wire-nut them together, with a jumper to J20 pin 1.. Then do the same for Pin 2, Pin 3, and Pin 4..

They just need to be electrically connected to J20, they don't have to be physically connected to J20..

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks gary. i haven’t checked it yet since it’s working fine.

i had another question. the app lets me set the chlorine level in one percent increments. does that actually work or the device rounds up/down to the nearest percentage similar to what i can do on the ic60 itself ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.