Easy Touch

SPman

Aug 20, 2018
LI, NY
I am entertaining the idea of using an Easy Touch for a new build. However, Pentair does not offer the configuration I'm looking for, which is the ET load center with the integrated Intellichlor transformer w/o anything else;( i.e. salt cell and valve actuators).

The closest thing I find is Pentair 520704.
I would like the 520703 with the integrated Intellichlor transformer. Are the parts available separately? I have considered buying the 520704 and selling off the stuff I don't need but would rather not have to. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to TFP!

If you fill in your signature, you'll get better answers to most questions. Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

For example, with your pool's configuration info, I might be able to point out how you could make use of the actuators. I ended up needing two after I purchased a stand-alone ET. Or I might be able to figure out why you want an IC transformer, but not an IC.

Can you give us more to go on?

Or try some of the bigger online parts shops, or a local pool parts supplier, or pool equipment installer. I'm pretty sure my installer charged me too much for my ET and pocketed the included actuators for himself, which he later sold back to me separately. (Bitter much?). Point being: if they buy the bundle from Pentair, they might be willing to part it out to you and others. They can make as much or more that way (assuming that doesn't violate their dealer agreement with Pentair). Can't hurt to ask 'em. Though, with their markup, that may not work out to be a better deal than you selling the surplus yourself.

Thanks for the reply Dirk. We are still in the planning stages so I haven't filled in my signature yet.

PB is supplying SWCG, IC60 as per my request $50 upgrade.
Pool only, no spa or water features. Estimated 20-25k gallons.
VSF pump.
Intellibrite lights.
I requested Quad DE instead FNS PB was offering. Says they had "a problem" , will check with owner/boss.

I realize there isn't much to automate but would like the ability to control the pool equipment, pool lights and additional landscape lighting.

The PB actually suggested I purchase the automation equipment, have it on site and have the electrician install it as it would save about $1k.

Last edited:
OK, better, thanks, but still a bit thin. What is the $50 upgrade? From IC40 to IC60? Or for the entire SWCG? (Neither makes sense.) If he's installing the SWCG, that requires a transformer, and so would be included in his cost and his price to you. So you buying an ET with the transformer would be money wasted, unless you two have negotiated that. We need to know the size of your pool to recommend the correct size of IC.

If he's willing to let you buy some equipment, then have him back out the SWCG and transformer from his contract and you buy the whole bundle. Sell or keep the actuators. I needed one when I added a solar heating system. And I needed a second one to optimize the performance of my cleaner. Nice to have all that automated.

So what type of cleaner are you going to have?

Here's some hard-learned advice I can share. I bought the wrong ET. Big time. I let my contractor select it. I didn't even know at that point what I didn't know. Have a look at this post, and the few after it:

Pentair RS-485 Connections within automation panel

Sidebar: you may not need that VSF pump, especially if it's significantly more than the VS model he might be able to offer you. Most residential pools cannot make good use out of the "variable flow" capability of that pump, and so don't need to pay extra for that feature.

Others here, while at your stage of construction, have posted their entire pool and equipment spec, down to the specific model numbers, to have it analyzed by the vultures, uh, I mean experts here. You'll get excellent advice about what you're getting, need and/or don't need.

S,

The EasyTouch that comes with the internal salt cell power supply has several differences from the standard ET..

It comes with a large internal transformer for the salt system, an additional circuit breaker on the main panel (4 instead of 3 breakers), a power supply board that converts the AC from the transformer into DC for the cell, and also has an additional connector were the cell plugs into the EasyTouch. From Pentair's point of view, it does not make a lot of sense to sell one without the salt cell itself.. I suspect trying to add the parts would cost about the same as buying a built up box..

It might make sense to step down to the ET 4 instead of the ET 8.. Since you don't have a lot of things to control 4 relays might be enough.

Pump/filter relay to control the power to the salt cell
Aux 1 for the pool light. (Need one for each light that you want to come on independently)
Aux 2 for Landscape lighting
Aux 3 for pad light or ???
Aux ex for ??? (You would have to add a relay to use Aux ex and you then could not use a Solar heater if that was in your future.
The pump is run off of a serial cable and does not need a relay..

Personally, I would ask the pool builder for a refund for the IC60 he planned to install and buy a pool only (single body) ET 8 with salt cell.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think we're all saying the same thing... no? Buy the ETx/ICx bundle, with the built-in transformer (x =whichever model is right for your pool and accessories), don't buy the ICx from the PB, have him back off that cost from your contract. Store, use, or sell whatever actuators come with it, if any.

Here's a model that appears to be what you need (or close to it), no actuators. Good for pools up to 20K gallons. Perhaps Pentair sells other bundles like this without actuators.

Amazon.com : Pentair 520593 EasyTouch 4PSC-IC40 Single Body Pool Or Spa Control System, Includes SCG Integration Outdoor

That price seems a little too good to be true, as it's about the same as an IC and its transformer without the ET! (This is the box I should have bought!!)

Don't forget to look into ScreenLogic. You're going to want that. There are bundles that include that, too.

You might consider, after first determining which ET and which IC you need, calling Pentair and rattling off your wish list, and see if they sell a bundle that includes what you want, or most of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.