ottawa, ontario, canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hi, I have an easy touch and I’d like to know if there is any kind of part I can buy so that I could control a 110v source with the relay. Basically I have some deck lanterns that I plug in/unplug to turn on and off. I thought there must be a way to leave them Plugged in but have the low volt toggle them on/off.

would be super handy to have them controlled with the rest of the automation schedules.

can it be done? Has it been done?

Aaron,

I don't really understand your question..

The Relays that come with the EasyTouch are designed to turn devices that use 120 or 240 volts AC on and off.. What turns the relay on and off is 24 Volts DC from the main Easytouch board.

If your landscape lights are powered by 120 volts (110, 115, and 120 are really the same for this subject) then the EasyTouch can easily turn them on and off.. I use my EasyTouch to turn on my LED landscape lights.

I'm sure it is just me, but I am not sure what answer you are looking for... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Aaron,

In theory, low voltage is not allowed in the high voltage area of the EasyTouch.. You can use an Aux relay to send 120 Volts AC to the power supply for your landscape lights.. You would schedule your Aux relay to turn on or off at the times you want..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am confused again.
If my patio lanterns are of the 110/120v variety(like have a plug for a “normal” outlet, won’t the existing easy touch relays be fine to use? I want to turn these patio lanterns on and off from the easy touch, as well as schedule them.

So what’s my best option? Buy some cheap
Aaron,

Yes, the existing relays will work just fine. This is way I was trying to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.
So what’s my best option? Buy some cheap 14/3 cabtyre and put a female end on it? Didn’t want to cut the male oem plug off the light set….

Does your EasyTouch have an Outlet mounted in the lower right side?? If not, there is a knock-out where you can mount an outlet.

If the knock out is already used, I would mount a water proof outlet below or off to the side of the EasyTouch.

Thanks.

Jim R.

Yes my easytouch has an outlet there. It is a gfci and the pool lights seem to be protected on it!!! Don’t know if that was the installer taking a shortcut or what… but when the gfci outlet trips, my underwater pool lights are off. Pump and heater fine of course.

so… I can’t use that outlet because it’s not on a switched/programmable relay. Sounds like option 2 is run a small external box off the easytouch. I am going to to take the cover off and have a look.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aaron,

Using a GFCI outlet for pool light GFCI protection is almost a given on most EasyTouch installations.. It is very common..

Thanks,

Jim R.
That’s re-assuring. Note that when the lights circuit is off on the breaker, this gfci is unpowered. But when the lights relay is off, this gfci is still powered. Is that also the usual? I ask because I do have gfci protected breakers that I could use in the panel.

Here’s a photo! My apologies my memory quite bad it seems. I was confusing those small low voltage breakers for the circuit board, with relays. So I can see I have an easytouch 4, with 2 spares. Either one could be used to power my 120v patio lanterns if I can safely create the joint between the plug and the panel.
A98E201A-83B1-4194-9E2E-468E5F903C55.jpeg
80A22F3F-C58C-4E81-8CC3-92428ECD962F.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E1D2F47-2F20-4E4C-AA41-1B76E55C8C43.jpeg
    0E1D2F47-2F20-4E4C-AA41-1B76E55C8C43.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 2
Aaron,

Yes, you can use Aux 2 or Aux 3 to control your landscape lighting.. You will have to connect the Line side of one of the relays to 120 Volts AC and the Load side to some external outlet that you can then plug your landscape lighting into.

Just for fun, when in AUTO and Pool mode, look at your SWCG and it should have lights.. Then go into the Service mode and tell me if all the lights on the SWCG go out like they should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Aaron,

I am glad the cell shuts off when in the Service mode.. That means your EasyTouch is wired correctly.. :thumleft:

I use that flexible water-tight conduit.. and the couplings that are made for it.. Even I can use it.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Aaron,

The GFCI Outlet does not get power from the lights relay... It supplies power to the lights relay..

Basically the GFCI outlet gets power from a circuit breaker, does not matter which one. This power goes to the plug side of the outlet, so you can plug things in to it.. Power is taken from the GFCI protected outputs on the back side of GFCI outlet and sent to the Line side of the lights relay.. When you turn on the lights, the power comes out the Load side of the relay and is sent to the lights or light transformer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

makes perfect sense.

seems I could improve upon it somewhat by taking the lights and putting them on their own gfci breaker (vs using the receptacle). i do have one here.
then the receptacle would be on its own breaker.
i am going to have to add another breaker for my new aux run for my patio lights too.
I also noted the pump is not on a gfci breaker. seems I should also put a new gfci breaker there. odd that it's not protected. maybe not a code thing? but still a good idea?
i guess I'd be left with a 20A unused if i pull it from the easytouch.

So I bought all the parts today and after about 2 hrs I now have a switched gfci outlet for the gazebo on the easytouch! Woohoo! Thanks for all the info. Tomorrow I am going to draw up a circuit diagram of how my panel is wired with hopes to get advice on how to add the pump gfci breaker as well as move the pool lights to their own gfci breaker. I also have a question about spa vs pool for the heater. Will post separately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.