Drippings Springs, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi, new to the forum and new pool owner. Just finished a build about 3 weeks ago. 18x34 pool with 7x7 spa. Intelliflo 3HP VSF pump, Pentair tagulus 100 with glass media filter and easy touch 8 system.

I've been waiting for over a week for the contractor to come by check things and still waiting.

About a week ago I started getting alerts on the phone app with power outage alerts and communication lost together. About every third day I get a max pressure warning alert.

I've got the screenlogic software on my computer as well, but can't find a way to get more info about the alert like when it occurs to help diagnose what is going on.

Any thoughts on a cause?

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

My "guess" is that they wired your IntelliFlo through the pump filter relay, which is incorrect.. The IntelliFlo should get constant AC power..

I assume you are not actually loosing power, the system is just reporting a power failure.

Show us a couple of pics of the inside of your EasyTouch so that we can see the relays and wiring..

Show us the following ScreenLogic set up pages..

View media item 1964

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can check the System Pressure and system pressure limits from the keypad.

Put the automation in "Service" mode and check the pump pressure and pressure limit set in the pump settings.

To Set Maximum System Pressure:

1. Check that the green power LED is on.

2. Press Menu.

3. Press Select to select “Settings”.

4. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Min/Max”.

Press Select.

5. Use the Up or Down arrows to scroll to “Set Maximum Pressure”.

6. Press Select to change the setting. The cursor will appear in the first number column (ones).

7. Press the Up or Down arrows to edit the maximum flow rate setting from 1 to 50 PSI.

8. Press Save to save. To cancel, press Back to exit edit mode without saving.

9. Press Back to exit.

Most likely, the pump is running too fast or the pressure limit is set too low or the filter is getting really dirty.

What is the pump speed or flow set to?

What is the filter pressure?

What is the system pressure from the Keypad (System in Service Mode).

I don't think that you can check the system pressure (as determined by the pump software) from ScreenLogic.

The power outage and communication lost errors are probably due to power going through the relay as mentioned by Jim R.

You, or the builder, just has to move the pump's power wires from the load side of the relay terminals to the line side.

Pentair tagulus 100 with glass media filter and easy touch 8 system.
Since the pump will probably need to run close to full speed when in Spa mode, the filter is probably a little bit undersized. You should have gotten the TR-140 filter or a cartridge filter with 520 square feet.

Do you have a picture of the whole system?

You should have a check valve bypass going around the heater to bypass flow in excess of about 50 gpm.

I'll try catch all the questions.

here is the panel and screen shots of the screenlogic.

The panel does appear to have the pump going through the relay. So it should be run to the line side? So how does the pump know when to turn on?

There is also the load wire for a Pentair Bioshield flow sensor, and the 30 A breaker is powering the cleaner pump as well.

The system has not been backwashed yet, so maybe that is causing the pressure alarm. I've been running 45-40 GPM and the filter never shows high pressure and is still a ways from the clean PSI.

I'll have to check the pressure settings

Thanks

Mark

panel.jpgpool 2.jpgpool 1.jpg

It's hard to follow the wires, but it looks like the pump is on the load side when it should be on the line side.

The breakers are not GFCI, which is incorrect.

The breakers look old and not new like you would expect.

Was this done by a licensed electrician with pool experience?

Mark,

The pump/filter relay is normally the top left relay.. It appears to me that your IntelliFlo is being controlled by the relay.. But only you can tell for sure. Follow the two load wires (pins 2 and 4) and see where they go.. If they go to the IntelliFlo, then move the two load wires (that go to the IntelliFlo) and move them over to the line side of the relay.. (Pins 1 and 3).

There is an extra wire on pin 2.. I am not sure where it goes...

Why do you not have GFCI breakers for your pumps??

I would also use RPM rather than GPM... Almost no one needs to run using GPM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

So how does the pump know when to turn on?
The automation tells the pump when to turn on. But, the pump can't communicate with the automation without power. Hence, the error message.

You don't need 40 gpm all the time. You can set the pump to go to 40 gpm only when the heater is on.

You can use RPM instead of gpm, which is what I would recommend.

With gpm, the pump keeps increasing the rpm as the filter gets dirty until it hits the preset pressure limit.

The gpm and system pressure are really not very accurate (in my opinion). They are calculated/estimated from the power usage (watts) and the rpm.

Thanks Jim and James, here are few more pics.

You assume people know what they are doing since they have done it before. The breakers are new just dusty. Why they aren't GFCI I don't know.

The first and second pic are the load wires from the filter pump going to Pin 2 & 4. That other black wire is the Bioshield UV power which is supposed to go there according to pentair.

The 3rd pic is the cleaner on the second relay. Those load wires are going to cleaner pump on pin 2 & 4. I assume it should be on its own breaker?

Mark
p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The breaker should be a GFCI breaker. The Pentair breaker is designed to work with the IntelliFlo. It’s shielded to reduce false trips due to electrical noise generated by VFDs (Variable Frequency Drives).

The pump should be on the line side of the relay so that it always gets power.

I’m guessing the Bioshield UV is probably 120 volts since it is only on one leg of the 240 power. If yes, the neutral needs to go to the neutral on the breaker so that all current is accounted for.

The cleaner pump should be powered from its own breaker.

pentair-pa220gf-5.jpg

Mark,

For now, just move the two wires that go to the IntelliFlo from the load side of the pump/filter relay to the line side of the relay.. Leave the wire going to your UV "Magic" where it is.

This will provide constant 240 VAC to your IntelliFlo, like it should be..

Try that for a few days and see if your problems goa away..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Guys, thanks so much for the help. Pump wires moved and new breaker installed for the cleaner. I'll have to order the GFCI. The alerts cleared from the app, but I want to backwash first and see if that helps the pressure warning.

My max pressure is set at 30 PSI, is that good or make it higher?

Markp4.jpg

Last edited:
You can get the correct breakers at Home Depot.

Check the pressure limit set in the pump settings and compare it to the running pressure from the keypad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.