Easy Touch 4 not working

kwjacks

Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2020
Phoenix
Post moved from old thread -- here.
Jim,
Just joined the forum. I have an Easytouch 4. local utilty changed out my meter. Had all my electronics off except for my pool. Now my ET4 screen is blank. Have been trouble shooting. All breakers are good, have power to the transformer(520653) as noted above. Per you comment, would it be more likely that my control board is bad? None of the 3v circuit breakers were tripped. Unit is 13 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacks,

In theory, the replacement of your electrical meter should not not caused any damage to your EasyTouch..

Is it just the LCD that is off or is everything off?? Does your IC40 light up, or do the buttons on the main panel work at all?

Do you have ScreenLogic or a remote? If so, do they work at all?

Do you know if your system transformer is wired to 120 or 240?

Did you actually ensure that 240 Volt AC is coming into your load center? Did you test between L1 and L2 or did you test L1 to ground and L2 to ground, which can give you a false reading?

The very first thing to check is that you have not lost half of your 240 VAC.. input to the EasyTouch from the main house breaker.

The next thing I would do is check the three AC voltages supplied by the system transformer.. 24, 18 and 12 volts AC.. You can test them on the connector where the go into the main board.

Please let me know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the response. Nothing lights up. None of the buttons on the panel work. My IC40 lights do not come on either. I have a remote that works but it does not connect. Unit is wired for 120v and have 120v out of all breakers. I cant get a reading on my voltmeter from the connector that goes on the board. Testing on AC mode while touching the red leed to one of the colored connections while the black leed touching the same colored wire. Also tried while touching red leed to the connector wires and black leed to main neutral on panel. First time tackling electrical issues on my pool. Always done the work on pumps, valves, etc.

Jacks,

Show me a few pics of your EasyTouch showing the relays and wiring.. I don't think anything is wrong with your wiring, I just want to test some specific spots and it would nice to "see" things so I can tell you where to test..

So even your pump is running off of 120 volts??

It is always possible to have a bad transformer, but in about 50 years of doing this stuff, I have yet to see one.... So I am not sure why you can't see voltage coming out of the transformer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jacks,

Show me a few pics of your EasyTouch showing the relays and wiring.. I don't think anything is wrong with your wiring, I just want to test some specific spots and it would nice to "see" things so I can tell you where to test..

So even your pump is running off of 120 volts??

It is always possible to have a bad transformer, but in about 50 years of doing this stuff, I have yet to see one.... So I am not sure why you can't see voltage coming out of the transformer.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I saw your post from last year about the transformer and that's why I asked you about this situation. See the attached pics. The control board transformer is wired in the 115V configuration like on the left of the schematic pic. Both sides of the panel buss read 120V. So yes on the pumps. The unit is 13 years old and i've never had any electrical issues.
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2119.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Kevin,

Looks to me like both of your pumps run off of 240 volts... ???

Please measure between Aux 2 (the relay with the red wires) pin 1 and pin 3... Measure between pin 1 and pin 3, do not measure between pin 1 and ground and pin 3 and ground. You should get 240 volts AC.

Also measure the same way, between pins 1 and 3 of the pump/filter relay and tell me what you get.

It is hard for me to tell how your system transformer is wired, but it "could" be wired through the GFCI outlet on the side of the box.. I would plug something in there, like a drill or something else that uses 120 volts and see if the outlet works.. If it does not work, see if you can reset the GFCI outlet.

Let me know what happens..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kevin,

Looks to me like both of your pumps run off of 240 volts... ???

Please measure between Aux 2 (the relay with the red wires) pin 1 and pin 3... Measure between pin 1 and pin 3, do not measure between pin 1 and ground and pin 3 and ground. You should get 240 volts AC.

Also measure the same way, between pins 1 and 3 of the pump/filter relay and tell me what you get.

It is hard for me to tell how your system transformer is wired, but it "could" be wired through the GFCI outlet on the side of the box.. I would plug something in there, like a drill or something else that uses 120 volts and see if the outlet works.. If it does not work, see if you can reset the GFCI outlet.

Let me know what happens..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Should have included this pic to start with. You are correct on the 240V to each pump. The gound fault has been working, I had checked this as my sprinkler system timer is plugged into it. It is on a sperate feed than the controls.

Attachments

• IMG_2120.jpg
    IMG_2120.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 7
Kevin,

To test the voltage coming out of the plug you need to test between the two pins on the right side of the connector, then between the two pins in the middle of the connector, and then between the two pins on the left side of the connector.. You should get 24 VAC, 18 VAC, and 12 VAC.. With everything disconnected you will get a little more than that, which is fine..

What voltage did you get when you measured between the two red wires on the Aux 2 relay??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kevin,

To test the voltage coming out of the plug you need to test between the two pins on the right side of the connector, then between the two pins in the middle of the connector, and then between the two pins on the left side of the connector.. You should get 24 VAC, 18 VAC, and 12 VAC.. With everything disconnected you will get a little more than that, which is fine..

What voltage did you get when you measured between the two red wires on the Aux 2 relay??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I get no reading while checking between the two pins on the connector. REd/red, orange/orange and blue/blue. I get 240 on aux2.

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
The Easy touch motherboard power connector 6 pin, should measure with 12vac, 18vac, and 24vac as per labeling.

If not then the transformer is not connected to 120 or 240 VAC. If there is power (120 or 240) at the transforner (measure at the wire nuts), then the wirings of the transformer could be open. Very rare failure, but you can measure the winding of the transformer for an open circuit.

Most likely a circuit breaker which does not appear to be tripped, but is... So that is a matter of checking power on both sides of circuit breakers.Three Voltage plug.JPGTripe Voltage Board side.JPG

What is this "Mystery Device" ??

Mystery Device.JPG

Last edited:
Jim,

I agree with Jerry.. I suspect you are not getting 120 or 240 to the system transformer.. Keep in mind that the big transformer is for your SWCG.. The system transformer is in behind the circuit breakers..

Please double check the voltage going into the system transformer..

It is good that you got 240 volts on the Aux 2 relay as that proves that you have both L1 and L2 inputs to your EasyTouch. I thought maybe you had lost one of them.

It is unlikely that all three outputs from the system transformer are bad, so it is more likely that you do not have an input voltage, or that the transformer itself is bad.

You are doing great, keep it up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I agree with Jerry.. I suspect you are not getting 120 or 240 to the system transformer.. Keep in mind that the big transformer is for your SWCG.. The system transformer is in behind the circuit breakers..

Please double check the voltage going into the system transformer..

It is good that you got 240 volts on the Aux 2 relay as that proves that you have both L1 and L2 inputs to your EasyTouch. I thought maybe you had lost one of them.

It is unlikely that all three outputs from the system transformer are bad, so it is more likely that you do not have an input voltage, or that the transformer itself is bad.

You are doing great, keep it up..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Pulled the transformer so I could get to it. Will hook it back up to test it. Where do I test for power coming in. I know the 120v is coming from the breaker. Do I have to pull the tape off the transformer? Also, conductivity is good on all three circuit breakers connected to the transformer, and the wireing harness conductivity is good on each wire. At this point I think we've got it narrowed down to the transformer. While looking on line I have seem comments where others have purchased the transformer to fix the same issue. One specifically noted that his pool comapny quoted $1000 to fix and he replaced the transformer and everything worked after.

Attachments

• IMG_2125.jpg
    IMG_2125.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Kevin,

Don't take the transformer apart.. Just test where it connects to power.. Looks like black goes to the circuit breaker and Violet goes to the Neutral bus and yellow is not used and capped.

I'd check the transformer's output with the plug disconnected from the main board. Keep in mind you must test each voltage between the pair of wires on the plug.. You can't test to ground or neutral.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kevin,

Don't take the transformer apart.. Just test where it connects to power.. Looks like black goes to the circuit breaker and Violet goes to the Neutral bus and yellow is not used and capped.

I'd check the transformer's output with the plug disconnected from the main board. Keep in mind you must test each voltage between the pair of wires on the plug.. You can't test to ground or neutral.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Understand and did check for voltage for each of the wires as shown in pics. This was done while the power was on. Got no reading of power from the transformer.

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7
Reconnected the transformer. Verified power coming into the transformer where black power lead connects. Re-verified that still no voltage coming out of the pin connector. Tested each pair of colored wires, alternated leads from multimeter from same colored wires to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Will order new transformer and let you know how things work out. Appreciate all the advise!

Attachments

• IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: GDN
Kevin,

I can't see how it can be anything but the transformer, but like I said at the very beginning of this thread... I have never seen a bad one.. Guess I'll have to start saying I've only seen one bad one. :mrgreen: You should have taken advantage of me at the beginning, as I would have bet $10 bucks that the transformer was not bad..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.