East texan pool newbie

Calebs

Mar 30, 2019
Troup, texas
Howdy folks, bought a house this winter and it came with a free pool!( or so I thought lol) it has been burying me. The pool sat untouched for at least three years so the algae is horrible I've been trying to kill it for two weeks now and still no success but after combing through this wonderful site I have figured out I have no idea what I'm doing. Didn't know my test strips were not any good. Will be getting a good rest kit soon. Any advice yall have would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!
Be sure to order a TF100 or Taylor K2006C. TF100 is the best value. Get a Speedstir too. Makes testing much easier.

When you get your test kit, start a new thread in the Algae sub forum to discuss your SLAM.

While waiting on the kit, add at least 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day to the pool.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
Be sure to order a TF100 or Taylor K2006C. TF100 is the best value. Get a Speedstir too. Makes testing much easier.

When you get your test kit, start a new thread in the Algae sub forum to discuss your SLAM.

While waiting on the kit, add at least 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day to the pool.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

This morning I added 2lbs of 53% cal-hypo and 2 gal of 6% bleach and it has done some good but I'm having to backwash my filter a lot. I have already taken a water sample to my local pool supply and they sold me what I needed but it got to kind of a teal color and never cleared so I could vacuum and the bloom came back now its back to green

Find a local store that sells regular bleach at a good price and stick with that. Down here we have HEBs, but not sure if you have them. Regular bleach is best. I too recommend the TF-100 (with speedstir if you can). Best product. Don't believe much of what the pool store says about your water. Their tests are often wrong and will guide you in a bad direction. Once your (good) kit arrives, we'll watch for results.

Make sure to update your signature with all of your pool details. See ours es examples. Details help us a lot. Have a nice day.

Please do not add any pool store potions. Some contain ammonia and some contain sodium bromide. Both mess up your pool water chemistry.

And Cal Hypo raises your CH. Not what you need in Texas.

Get your own proper test kit.

Good luck.

C,

You can either rely on the advice you get from the pool store or you can rely on us... You can't do both...

Keep in mind the main objective of the pool store is to sell you something.

We are just a bunch of volunteers that are passionate about pool care.

If you decide pool store, bookmark us, as we will be here when your get back.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Find a local store that sells regular bleach at a good price and stick with that. Down here we have HEBs, but not sure if you have them. Regular bleach is best. I too recommend the TF-100 (with speedstir if you can). Best product. Don't believe much of what the pool store says about your water. Their tests are often wrong and will guide you in a bad direction. Once your (good) kit arrives, we'll watch for results.

Make sure to update your signature with all of your pool details. See ours es examples. Details help us a lot. Have a nice day.

Where would be the best place to get that test kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support