SE Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have 2 pumps going on my equipment pad. One of them is the primary filter pump, and the other feeds a large water feature. I'd like to setup the plumbing to be able to use either of these pumps for filter duty, should one of them break for whatever reason. Does anyone see any issues with this setup? Am I completely nuts? or is this normal?

Thanks
Plumbing Diagram.png

I have 2 pumps going on my equipment pad. One of them is the primary filter pump, and the other feeds a large water feature. I'd like to setup the plumbing to be able to use either of these pumps for filter duty, should one of them break for whatever reason. Does anyone see any issues with this setup? Am I completely nuts? or is this normal?

Thanks
View attachment 523405
Given that pumps last a loooong time and can usually be repaired/replaced quickly, it seems a lot of trouble for little gain the might be of use.

Reactions: bradgray
Given that pumps last a loooong time and can usually be repaired/replaced quickly, it seems a lot of trouble for little gain the might be of use.
Fair point. How about wanting to pull water from the main drain through the filter pump/filter? (I wouldnt need valves 3 and 4 in that case)

Fair point. How about wanting to pull water from the main drain through the filter pump/filter? (I wouldnt need valves 3 and 4 in that case)
Without seeing your plumbing, it may be that there is already a connection to the filter pump and main drain through the skimmer. Not uncommon for a second pipe to be placed under the same cover to feed the water-feature pump.

Without seeing your plumbing, it may be that there is already a connection to the filter pump and main drain through the skimmer. Not uncommon for a second pipe to be placed under the same cover to feed the water-feature pump.
Its not plumbed yet. I'm sorting out how best to route the plumbing. I do not want to feed the water feature from the skimmer since its will be unfiltered water.

The main drain(s) are going exclusively to the pool pad for use by the water feature pump. (it needs somewhere around 100GPM give its size).

Its not plumbed yet. I'm sorting out how best to route the plumbing. I do not want to feed the water feature from the skimmer since its will be unfiltered water.

The main drain(s) are going exclusively to the pool pad for use by the water feature pump. (it needs somewhere around 100GPM give its size).
Main drains for water features without a filter in the system are usually installed on the wall of a pool so that floor debris doesn't get sucked in.

Reactions: bradgray
I can't tell you how many PBs have come and added a water feature to a pool that wasn't plumbed for one, and stole a skimmer or MD and the water quality suffered.

100% what poolman said. Use wall drains. If you're really worried about filtering the water (laminars are good to filter), you can put a smaller 100 mesh irrigation filter in line, or a small 50sqft filter. Pentair makes one. I'm sure others do but they're uncommon on our routes and I only install Pentair.

One filter pump with skimmer and MD (+ cleaner?) and another pump with dedicated wall drain suction filtered/unfiltered for your features.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.