Drop in PH/FC

Hard to know why they dropped really. But since your CH and TA seem to be in fairly good shape, continue to monitor the pH to ensure it doesn't drop any lower ~ especially for the health of your heater (not sure if you have copper in there). If you have a water feature, crank it up as well which should increase pH a bit. Remember that as our water temps drop, pH tends to increase slightly. If you can get pH around 7.5 that would be ideal.

As for the FC, it's definitely too low. Even in the cooler months we expend FC, just slower. It looks like you manually feed your pool chlorine (non-SWG), so depending upon your current CYA level, make sure to increase FC as noted on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart page. Hope that helps.

Hard to know why they dropped really. But since your CH and TA seem to be in fairly good shape, continue to monitor the pH to ensure it doesn't drop any lower ~ especially for the health of your heater (not sure if you have copper in there). If you have a water feature, crank it up as well which should increase pH a bit. Remember that as our water temps drop, pH tends to increase slightly. If you can get pH around 7.5 that would be ideal.

As for the FC, it's definitely too low. Even in the cooler months we expend FC, just slower. It looks like you manually feed your pool chlorine (non-SWG), so depending upon your current CYA level, make sure to increase FC as noted on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart page. Hope that helps.

Thanks... Is there a thought process on how much Chlorine, would be reasonable in 20K Gallon pool weekly? I know the answers depends, just sort of wondering.

Best thing to do first is confirm your current CYA level. Once you know that, then use the Poolmath calculator (link in my signature) to tell you how much bleach to add. My pool is almost 18K, so one gallon of regular HEB Bravo bleach will increase my FC about 5 ppm. But to know your proper FC target as noted on that CYA Chart above, you'll need to know your current CYA. Hopefully you have your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit to do that at home. That's always best.

During summer normal is 2-4 ppm. Much less than that when the water is below 60°F.

Have you used any trichlor pucks or dichlor. Those can both lower PH.

THanks, I have the Taylor.... Just retested, everything is back where I expected it, except for PH and it's high. Going to give it a cool 48 hours and re-test before adding. I will look into the Trichlor if the PH does not come down.

FC-4
PH-8
TA-120
CH-290
CYA-40

THanks, I have the Taylor.... Just retested, everything is back where I expected it, except for PH and it's high. Going to give it a cool 48 hours and re-test before adding. I will look into the Trichlor if the PH does not come down.

FC-4
PH-8
TA-120
CH-290
CYA-40
Stay away from the Trichlor, it will just un-necessarily add to your CYA level. If you need to lower your pH, use muriatic acid, it will also drop your TA a bit.

Which Taylor kit do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.