Drones!

Here is a good entry level drone ... it's a bit more than what you were looking for... by $5.00

So you want a quadcopter? I recommend that you learn to fly first. Crashing your expensive quad or getting it stuck in a huge tree is a real possibility for a new flyer.
Once you know how to fly the sky is the limit and you can spend big $$ for all the bells and whistles.

This is a no frills unit that takes a lick'n and keep on tick'n. It is fun to learn on and even takes pics and vids. Best of all the price is right, you could buy four and stay in your budget.

Does it have all the newest technology, nope. It is a great learning quad and when you master this you are ready to advance.
My opinion only and yes I have first hand knowledge. Not my vid.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
The reason I pointed out the bugs was that it has a half decent GPS to hold it steady in the air for you.
It doesn't come close to any of my drones in cost, and would make a good starter drone. (I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro, a Phantom 3 Pro, and a Typhoon H)
The Syma doesn't have GPS, and as a result will drift with the slightest breeze.
That being said though, My first drone was a Syma X8. That thing cost me $50 and taught me the tricks of Quads.
When I bought my first drone with GPS, I realised the importance of it, and swore that I would always have it onboard.

You guys are great! This is for a friend's birthday and he has his PPL and Drone certification. Although he has never flown one.

What about this one? More interested in if anyone can speak to the brand. It seems to have everything you'd want. Is 18 minutes good flight time?

Here is a good entry level drone ... it's a bit more than what you were looking for... by $5.00

That one looks perfect and actually has a 10% coupon on the Amazon page but it will not arrive in time. I need it for the 13th.

So you want a quadcopter? I recommend that you learn to fly first. Crashing your expensive quad or getting it stuck in a huge tree is a real possibility for a new flyer.
Once you know how to fly the sky is the limit and you can spend big $$ for all the bells and whistles.

This is a no frills unit that takes a lick'n and keep on tick'n. It is fun to learn on and even takes pics and vids. Best of all the price is right, you could buy four and stay in your budget.

Does it have all the newest technology, nope. It is a great learning quad and when you master this you are ready to advance.

If your friend has no experience with drones, the drone mentioned above is a great entry level unit. When learning to fly it is best not to have GPS since one must be able to pilot without it in case of gps failure or loss of signal. If you want something reliable with GPS you will have to spend considerably more than your budget.

Reactions: Oly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I am going to get the below. I am torn between getting one with brushless motors or an adjustable camera. I cannot seem to find one with both in my price range. I am seeing very good reviews on the Potensic brand.

Brushless

adjustable camera but brushed

Thanks for that link Oly. I’ve been interested in picking one up to view my roof from the ground after storms, as well as wanting to learn how to fly one. :cheers:

Reactions: Oly
Of those 2, I would opt for the brushless.
The camera hanging under the drone is a weak point for new pilots, and is often the first casualty in a crash.

Reactions: PoolGate
Pro tips. Secure extra batteries and find multiple port charging units for more continuous flight time while on location.
When first learning keep all the guards intact and remove the camera. Start with take offs and landings just up and down learning throttle control.
Next keep elevation low and practice with flight controls and simple maneuvers. Gain the intuition of a forward perspective even when the quad is rotated.
For longer flight times when proficient remove the prop guards and landing struts to reduce weight. Run camera for short periods when at altitude.
Lots of good beginner info, flight tricks and modification tips for the Syma X5C-1 on u-tube university. Flying on a calm moonless light is fun.

Reactions: Arizonarob
The less expensive camera drones do not have a display...so you do not get the perspective of flying as if you were in the cockpit...you fly by sight from the ground. If the drone were flying away from you and then it turned around and headed towards you the controls would seem to work backwards...this takes practice to learn.

Reactions: Oly and Arizonarob
The less expensive camera drones do not have a display...so you do not get the perspective of flying as if you were in the cockpit...you fly by sight from the ground. If the drone were flying away from you and then it turned around and headed towards you the controls would seem to work backwards...this takes practice to learn.

Actually the description specifically addresses this. It uses the phone for real time display (FPV) and the controls work in "headless" mode.

Headless drone
When you active headless mode, the onboard flight computer always aligns the drone movements to be relative to the controller. So it does not matter which way the drone forward direction is pointing. When you push forward, the drone moves forward relative to your direction, not the heading of the drone.

If you take the camera off, how do you know which way is forward? :scratch:
Actually the description specifically addresses this. It uses the phone for real time display (FPV) and the controls work in "headless" mode.

The display and headless mode are good features to have. Oly's comment to remove the camera is to prevent damage when learning to fly. Many crashes will be had while learning to fly so removing the camera saves that component from damage. One also needs to learn to fly by sight from the ground. Wireless signals can drop, leaving only minimal control of the drone.

Reactions: Oly and Arizonarob
The display and headless mode are good features to have. Oly's comment to remove the camera is to prevent damage when learning to fly. Many crashes will be had while learning to fly so removing the camera saves that component from damage. One also needs to learn to fly by sight from the ground. Wireless signals can drop, leaving only minimal control of the drone.

Yep this one also addresses that with an automatic fly home and land feature upon signal loss.

My friend is a private pilot and will have no issues learning to fly this. Him and I have flown a number of small electric helicopters. I was very heavily into R/C years ago too so am aware of how to control an R/C device.

I ended up getting the one with the brushless motors which does not have a removable camera.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.