Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Got over 2 full inches of rain in 7 hours today. Pool level is now completely covering the tiles and maybe a 1/8” up the cantilevered coping. Never had that much rain so quick since I’ve been here.

I turned the auto fill and pump off preemptively.
I’m contemplating the necessity of getting the drop-in submersible drain pump out (don’t have a backwash drain). This pools tiles didn’t fare well last time this occurred and some areas delaminated of what I feel was related to similar circumstances.

Thoughts?

Thanks Kim. I miss my old place having a sand filter and a drain clean out for backwashing to just run the pump and bring the level down quickly. I do have a 1/6 hp submersible pump and went ahead and tossed it in.
Revision: we received 3.1 inches since 9am (it’s almost 6pm). That’s incredible.

I feel your pain. I'm up against the foothills and I think we got hit with about 4 inches or so. I drained off 2 inches yesterday and another 2 inches this morning using a hose valve plumbed into my system. The water level's back up to my overflow.

If you don't have a hose valve, just go old school and use a couple of garden hoses to siphon water out. It took me four days, but I was able to drain about 11K gallons using three hoses.

Edit...just saw your post above. The sub-pump is a better idea.

Last edited:
Guys from Cal...you guys had such horrible droughts, now you're getting caught up and sometimes it's painful, In hurricane Harvey, we have a bit less than 4 ft of rain...places east of us had over 5 ft of rain, 62".

When the water goes higher up on your tiles, what happens to them? we have had waters coming over the coping and into the pool as well when all 11 drains are 100%+ full.

Hopefully all will be well soon and things greening up for you guys...good luck

Reactions: KDpoolguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.