Draining Pool Advise

Dec 25, 2013
Need to drain my pool. Only concern I really have is popping it out of the ground. Live in SoCal and hasnt rained a couple months.

I only have a main drain on the pool floor, I dont see any other relief valves.

I do have some mystery "valves"/things on the side of the pool under the lid, attached the photos. Anyone know what these things are for?

Other advise for draining? Should I go slow or just as fast as the pump can move the water out?

Attachments

• 20180504_094200.jpg
    20180504_094200.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180504_094207.jpg
    20180504_094207.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 94
Hopefully someone else comes along who knows what that is. Maybe an abandoned auto-fill?

But with respect to draining, let us know why and maybe we can help you keep the draining to a minimum.

Do you have any sense of ground water in the area, and do you know if the pool has ever been drained before?

I had a raccoon use my pool as a toilet multiple times, and to be on the safe side we'd really like to drain it and refill since chlorine alone will not kill all their cooties.

No idea on the ground water or if its been drained before.

Those "valve" things are in between the two returns. My guess on one of them, the large one, is that maybe its just a valve so you can control the flow going to the second return. The other thing is more strange looking.

There is only a copper fill line going to the pool elsewhere so I dont think it was ever an autofill.

I'll get some more help. My knowledge is limited on what raccoons would bring that can't be killed with chlorine.

Draining a pool is a fairly big deal because of heaving risk, but also the plaster needs to stay moist and not be subject to full sun during hot weather.

Hopefully draining can be avoided. Do you have a test kit that includes CYA?

As far as I’m aware, proper levels of chlorine over the proper amount of time will destroy anything organic.

Can you please elaborate on exactly what ‘cooties’ you are referring to?

Raccoons & Pools | Healthy Swimming | Healthy Water | CDC

Here is a link to what the CDC has to say about racoons.

First thing I would do is as they suggest get your water tested for the parasite. If none is found you are fine.

Otherwise their primary solution is to let your filter remove the parasite and then heavily backwash the filter or replace the filter media.

Before replacement of the water I would do testing before and after filtering. Water replacement would be a last resort if filtering wasn't effective.

Last edited:
You have to test the actual poop and not the water. First, the poop essentially dissolves when u try to scoop it out. Second, trying to locate a test place is virtually impossible even in los angeles.

Which leads me to want to drain and change filter.

Biological dangers aside, you can imagine the interest of the family to swim without these steps taken.

That's one of those things where it doesn't matter who or how many say it's OK, you just want fresh water, I fully understand.

You might try a local pool builder to see if they have any concerns about a total drain of a pool in your area. If they're building in your area they'd have an idea if a full drain might be a problem. There might also be a city or county resource that might have info on the water table in your area. Short of someone actually knowing I would think without rain in a couple months you should be OK to drain it using the pump as fast as it goes from the main drain. Depending on the health of your pump it's likely to slow down quite a bit as you get closer to empty and it has to suck that water up.

Light reading --> https://www.poolcleanerblog.com/how-to-pump-water-out-of-pool/

What sort of filter do you have?

You could hire someone for draining (shifts the cost risk to them, and lessens chances of problems). If DIY, see if there's a way to tent the pool if it's going to have sun on the plaster for any length of time. Spraying it with water regularly while exposed is another option. Brush it to get any eggs off the wall or out of crevices and into the water. Brush around the skimmer(s) and pump basket with a scrub brush. Run all plumbing lines (e.g. water features, slides, solar heating, vacuum or cleaner hose, etc). Drain quickly. Steam-clean or pressure wash quickly. Fill quickly (maybe get some of the water delivered to speed it up). If filling from outdoor tap(s) use two or more hoses and the shortest hoses that will get the job done. If going DIY and need any help with valve settings or the like, post a picture of your equipment pad if requesting help with that.

For the pre-filtration, or if going with option 2 (CDC link below), I've looked and tried to find a particular thread and can't find it. But that thread shows how long to filter 99.9% of the water, and IIRC it's considerably more than 24 hours, so I would go longer than CDC recommends. Personally, I'd be inclined to filter for 72 hours and brush daily during that period of time.

For anyone following along, here's a few references.
Raccoons & Pools | Healthy Swimming | Healthy Water | CDC
https://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/media/pdf/EID_7-11_Baylisascaris_procyonis.pdf
Deadly raccoon roundworm can infect humans without symptoms | UGA Research

I've been following the advise of the guy at the pool store and bought some submersible pumps and have been draining over the past 1.5 days. According to him he has seen too many times where someone screws something up using their filter & pump (although I feel I probably could have done it OK). Its taking much longer than expected, but so far everything is going OK. My wife wants to scrub the tile with pumice stone while we are drained so that will take tomorrow while its empty. Then tomorrow night I plan to start to refill.

Regarding the valves, I showed him the photos and he confirmed those where valves to control the return lines, but looked like the handles had come off.

I also bought a brand new filter grid, and just threw the existing one directly into the garbage. Was not worth trying to clean and come in contact with where most of the danger lurks.

I think by draining and washing walls etc, I should get things as clean as possible. Then I will run the filter again 24x7 for a few days. I *think* thats the best I can do, considering chlorine doesnt kill the stuff anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the second article above, it sounds like heat is the way to kill the eggs. 145 degrees F which you could do with your hot water tank, or else a steam cleaner. What's the pumice stone for? Do you have calcium scale? Be cautious on waterline tiles with pumice stone because you could scratch them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.