May 21, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I have been following the TFP method for about a year now and it has helped a lot. I did however get lazy towards the end of the summer and started floating pucks instead of my daily liquid routine and my CYA of course has shot up to 130, so I understand that I need to drain and refill. Should I fully drain or just partial drain?

Also wondering what I should do after draining... should I use a hose jet nozzle (light pressure) to spray the walls down to get rid of any potential dirt/algae? Should I have it acid washed? I've read mixed things on whether you should acid wash pebble tec. I know someone who had their plaster pool (not pebble tec) acid washed and it really brightened it up and made it look much nicer so I was wondering if I should do something of that sort since I'm draining it.

~15,000 gal pebble tec
pH: 7.7
FC: 5.0
CYA: 130
CH: 420
TA: 90

Thank you in advance for any help on this.

When is the last time the pool was drained?
Are you using regular city tap water or softened water (water softener) for your autofill/makeup water?
How are you testing your pool water? What test kit?
How did you determine a CYA of 130?

Acid washing removes the plaster (or plaster between the pebbles) and will shorten the life of the plaster surface.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in helping you without the need to ask you for the info each time.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help on this! I'm using the Taylor K-2006C test kit that's recommended here, so that's how I determined my CYA. I am not sure when the pool was last drained completely as I don't know what the previous owners did. I do have a water softener and tested the hose water I use to fill the pool to confirm it is soft water. I've updated my signature with what I can for now, will update the pump info when I can, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Newdude
Does the pool have an autofill or do you use a hose to top off?

Since your CYA is above 90, did you perform a diluted CYA test?
See #8 in this link:

It does not have an autofill that I know of. I have to use the hose to top it off every 3 days or so in the summer.

I didn't do the diluted test you linked, just the regular CYA test. I'll try that one thanks!

Using softened water to fill up do to evaporation is the key to keeping your CH in check.
I'm surprised you don't have an autofill since you are in Phoenix. How old is the pool?
Are there any covers on the pool deck you don't know the function of? Autofill covers are usually smaller in diameter than the skimmer cover.

When you have a minute, fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info. Try to be specific.
This assists us in helping you without needing to ask you for this info each time.

I've filled out my signature with what I could for now. The sticker on my pump that had the model info has worn off. I've only taken over this pool a couple of years ago and have no idea when it was built, however the plaster/pebbletec doesn't look all that old, but it's hard to tell.

I do not have any covers on the deck other than the skimmer. I do have what looks like a plumbed line in the pool wall, maybe a penny size in diameter, on a side of the pool where there's a hose and water valves on the back of the house about 15-20 feet from the pool. Tried turning those valves on and could not feel any water coming out of that line in the pool wall so I'm not sure. The home is old so they were likely to an old sprinkler system and no longer used.

Post pics of the pool pump and motoor from a few different angles - someone may be able to identify it.
Likewise, what filter do you have? Post pics of the equioment pad from different angles.

As for the mystery pipe in the pool wall, post pics of it and of the hose/pipes flose to it.

It's a Waterway filter, not sure which specifically, with 4 cartridge filters. Here's some pics of the pump, filter, the plumbed hole in the wall (approx. 0.75" diameter) and the valves that are roughly 20 ft from that wall of the pool. PXL_20231228_210853156.jpgPXL_20231228_211016346.jpgPXL_20231228_211047947.jpgPXL_20231228_211137242.jpgPXL_20231228_211157530.jpgPXL_20231228_210338708.MP.jpg
PXL_20231228_210742270.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231228_210742270.jpg
    PXL_20231228_210742270.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the pump, maybe call these guys and ask if they have any info - hopefully they can look it up by address
Or maybe they can tell you based on the info you provide from the label - be sure to include "1.0 E+"
My guess is it's a 1.0 hp motor - it is single speed with a 56Y frame

Filter - maybe a Waterway Crystal Water 325 cartridge filter. Possibly measure the height and diameter of the filter and or the cartridges to compare to ones on the Waterway site.

The manual sprinkler valves might be plumbed to a drip system zone or turf area - possibly abandoned by a previous owner.
It appears the uncapped pipe coming out of the wall to the left has been disconnected from the galvanized pipes to the right with the caps on them. Likely that the galvanized pipes are under pressure. What is directly behind (other side of the wall) the galvanized pipes? what is directly behind the uncapped pipe on the left side?

Thank you for that info for the pump and filters! Will look into those.
As far as the capped pipe to the right and the uncapped pipe to the left--that was an old gas line for a gas stove that has since been changed out for electric. The uncapped line is connected to nothing on the other side and it actually should just be removed. Behind the wall the capped line comes out of is a tankless water heater, and this is why you see the PVC condensation drain line there as well.

It is just weird to me this plumbed line in the pool wall seems like it could be for an auto fill but can't seem to figure out what it's connected to, if anything.

For the in pool line that doesn't seem to be connected to anything...
Possibly try to force water back thru the line using the water hose. Maybe you will see water bibbling up thru the ground between the pool and the existing water pipes.

Maybe it's plumbed to the gate valve shown in the first pic in post #9?
Chances are any of those old gate valves shouldn't be messed with - and should be replaced with full union PVC ball valves when you replumb the equipment pad.

Hi all,

I have been following the TFP method for about a year now and it has helped a lot. I did however get lazy towards the end of the summer and started floating pucks instead of my daily liquid routine and my CYA of course has shot up to 130, so I understand that I need to drain and refill. Should I fully drain or just partial drain?

Also wondering what I should do after draining... should I use a hose jet nozzle (light pressure) to spray the walls down to get rid of any potential dirt/algae? Should I have it acid washed? I've read mixed things on whether you should acid wash pebble tec. I know someone who had their plaster pool (not pebble tec) acid washed and it really brightened it up and made it look much nicer so I was wondering if I should do something of that sort since I'm draining it.

~15,000 gal pebble tec
pH: 7.7
FC: 5.0
CYA: 130
CH: 420
TA: 90

Thank you in advance for any help on this.
I just did a full pool drain this week on my 14,400 gal Pebble Tec pool. I'd recommend a full drain if hydrostatic pressure is not a concern in your area, as this will give you an opportunity to "wash" the pool and inspect the drains/inlets/lights/etc. I used a pressure washer on my pool walls/floor and the result was a lot of yellow/mustard algae water from my previous algae encounter. I can't speak to whether it's worth acid washing, but if the pool is fully drained you might as well give it a good wash/rinse.

Before I did the full drain, I did a partial drain and was not able to lower my CYA enough (it was above 200), so save yourself the headache and just go for the full drain.

I'd rather see staining than acid wash my pool. I don't need to lose years off the life of my plaster finish by acid washing.

I good nozzle on a garden hose is more than enough to wash the plaster pool surface off while draining. A pressure washer can easily cause damage to the surface or even blast it right off.

Reactions: Lugnut2683
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.