Draining and bringing down the waterline?

Nope this one connected to pump.
Yeah, it can happen. Do you have baskets in your skimmer(s)? Do you have a main drain? Sometimes they can get through. That cover is the cover to the pump basket. Think of it as a "pre-filter" to keep big stuff out of the pump and filter. Are there a lot of leaves or just one or two? To clean it, I would turn off the pump. Close the valve on the tall pipes in the back. The handle should face away from you or 180 degrees from the way it is in your pictures (this will keep the water from coming out of your pool through the pump basket when you take the top off the pump). You unscrew the clear top and empty the basket. Put it back in, top back on, turn the valve back so handle is pointing toward the pump. Turn on the pump.
Also for swg there is no off switch, not even a trip in the electricity box, the swg itself has a sanatizer output that can be reduced
Thanks @Newdude. Just turn the output to 0%. Good to go!

Reactions: Newdude
@tsar Your CYA is 30, not 90, so your target is 12, not 35. How did you get a CYA of 90. When we tested earlier it was <20!?!?

Please go here are re-read the SLAM process. Let me know that you read it and understand. You don't add 10 gallons, you add enough to raise your FC to your SLAM level. You need 10-15 gallons because over a period of time re-raising your FC, you will use it up. Please click the link below and read it in its entirety. Come back if you have questions!

yes I think I misunderstood, and made a few wrong assumptions. I realized after using the PoolMath App what I was actually supposed to do, but based on that it seems like I had to add only 1.9 gallons, and then maintain the level. I completely misunderstood you, and assumed we needed 10 gallons to start with. I realized what the process actually is after using the pool math app, which tells you what to use and what the SLAM target should be for your pool. The app is pretty cool.

Please ignore the 90 CYA part ! you are right it was 30.

As of now I have actually added 8 extra gallons of liquid chlorine, which means I probably have too much chlorine.
I'll do a test to check the FC level now, and get back here.

I'm going to do the OCLT test tonight, and check what the chlorine level is and get back in this thread with that as well.

Having too high chlorine probably means I can't swim for now, which is ok since I won't be here for a while, but is there any other downside?

Last edited:
Maintaining a high FC for long periods of time can damage equipment. The FC/CYA chart provides a shock level for your CYA that is a balance of effectiveness and safety for pool equipment. As long as you let the chlorine come back down and don't add any more until you get down to below slam level, it should be okay. Can you test every couple hours and post to poolmath. Please go to gear in upper right corner, then scroll down to bottom and share logs to TFP so we can see them? No swimming until slam level or below…

Great! No need to do any other test than fc until you pass OCLT, then the passing test, test Cc.

14.5 isn’t bad after 10 gallons, you killed some thing!

Test every hour and add chlorine to get back to 12. Brush brush brush everything!

If you go to the Home Screen in pool math, press the gear in the upper right hand corner. Then scroll to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP. We can then see your logs from your name in any post. Save us trying to find the post with the link. Click on my name on the phone in pool math, or hover on computer, you can see my logs.

I just tested in the morning for OCLT, FC is 14 (i.e. dropped by 0.5). I looked and that's considered a pass for the OCLT! Yay!

>Brush brush brush everything!
btw. while I have brushed the sides, deep ends bottoms are rather difficult to do. Do you guys typically take very long pole pool brushes?

I'll be running the robot vacuum now, and let it do it's job on the bottom. I forgot to follow up with you about the vacuum and the dirt it captured, if you think it's DE or not?

> Then scroll to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP.
I don't have that option. The only dial for sharing there is "anyone with a unique link". Do not know if that has anything to do with being on iOS/Android

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@PoolStored - More follow up questions.
My timer (which has restarted working and I should have just taken off the trippers for this test) had stopped the pump at 2 a.m at night, I've restarted it at 6:30/7:00 am. The chlorine was added at noon yest, so the pump has been largely running at all times otherwise. Does that make a big difference in the test results

I see that it's suggested that pump runs 24x7 for SLAM is that simply to allow the chlorine to mix? If so, I did run it for 12-14 hours yest after adding the chlorine.

I just tested in the morning for OCLT, FC is 14 (i.e. dropped by 0.5). I looked and that's considered a pass for the OCLT! Yay!

>Brush brush brush everything!
btw. while I have brushed the sides, deep ends bottoms are rather difficult to do. Do you guys typically take very long pole pool brushes?
Yes
I'll be running the robot vacuum now, and let it do it's job on the bottom. I forgot to follow up with you about the vacuum and the dirt it captured, if you think it's DE or not?
Take a bit of DE from the bag. Don't inhale it. Wet it. Does it look/feel the same? The Nautilus will brush the bottom.
> Then scroll to the bottom and enable sharing with TFP.
I don't have that option. The only dial for sharing there is "anyone with a unique link". Do not know if that has anything to do with being on iOS/Android
Ah, you don't have the paid version. Allows you to save your tests and chemical logs and share with TFP. Got it. I think the subscription is worth it...Make sure you are logged into the Pool Math App with your TFP Forum user ID/password if you do decide to get the subscription!

Last edited:
@PoolStored - More follow up questions.
My timer (which has restarted working and I should have just taken off the trippers for this test) had stopped the pump at 2 a.m at night, I've restarted it at 6:30/7:00 am. The chlorine was added at noon yest, so the pump has been largely running at all times otherwise. Does that make a big difference in the test results

I see that it's suggested that pump runs 24x7 for SLAM is that simply to allow the chlorine to mix? If so, I did run it for 12-14 hours yest after adding the chlorine.
So let's start with SLAM. Slam is over when ALL THREE ARE TRUE:
1) you pass oclt
2) CC<=.5
3) Clear pool. Including no debris or algae dust in the pool.

Did you test CC. Is your pool clear like the TFP Clear thread? If not, keep testing and adding chlorine to keep your FC at 12. Saw that your CYA test came out to 40. Is that correct? If so, your slam level is 16. Keep going!!

Pump is yes for chemicals, but maybe more important in a slam is to filter any and all dead algae. Keep that pump going. What is your filter pressure?

Ah, you don't have the paid version. Allows you to save your tests and chemical logs and share with TFP. Got it. I think the subscription is worth it...Make sure you are logged into the Pool Math App with your TFP Forum user ID/password if you do decide to get the subscription!

I did get the subscription, I checked and didn't find any poolmath pro app in the app store. Don't know what's missing, I'm logged in from my gmail account in the pool math app which is the same one I use in TFP Forum etc. Anyhow resolving this can wait :p

So let's start with SLAM. Slam is over when ALL THREE ARE TRUE:
1) you pass oclt
2) CC<=.5
3) Clear pool. Including no debris or algae dust in the pool.

Did you test CC. Is your pool clear like the TFP Clear thread? If not, keep testing and adding chlorine to keep your FC at 12. Saw that your CYA test came out to 40. Is that correct? If so, your slam level is 16. Keep going!!

OCLT was pass, CC was 0.5, when I tested in the morning. The pool is definitely clear (I don't know if I can compare it to the TFP clear thread you shared yet, but water is clear). I do have to skim leaves etc. And I just turned on the vacuum so let's see. I don't see algae/dust in the pool.

1658942122694.png

I did get the subscription, I checked and didn't find any poolmath pro app in the app store. Don't know what's missing, I'm logged in from my gmail account in the pool math app which is the same one I use in TFP Forum etc. Anyhow resolving this can wait :p
Let's ask @Leebo (he is not seeing "share with TFP" option.
OCLT was pass, CC was 0.5, when I tested in the morning. The pool is definitely clear (I don't know if I can compare it to the TFP clear thread you shared yet, but water is clear). I do have to skim leaves etc. And I just turned on the vacuum so let's see. I don't see algae/dust in the pool.
GREAT. We generally recommend going one more day with the SLAM. For insurance. Just keep checking and adding. Since you are going away, we want to make sure we got everything. I ran my nautilus 24x7 during my slam, really helped!!!

Let's ask @Leebo (he is not seeing "share with TFP" option.

GREAT. We generally recommend going one more day with the SLAM. For insurance. Just keep checking and adding. Since you are going away, we want to make sure we got everything. I ran my nautilus 24x7 during my slam, really helped!!!
k I'm caught up with some work, but I'll try to reach the SLAM parameter today. And do OCLT. I'll run a few cycles of nautilus as well.

Great! Well within parameters!!!
Do I need to clean the filter before leaving, or can I leave it for the next 2 weeks with the SWCG/filter pump running 7-8 hrs daily.

Lastly I know my skimmer is not working properly right now because of the waterline, but what do you guys usually do for skimming - manual/robot or do skimmers do a good job if the level is correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.