Drained & Now refilling Pool - New Plan to set CH from the start.

May 20, 2018
PORTAGE-MICHIGAN
I just drained our gunite pool last week - light power wash and scale cleanup of glass tile at the water line. Getting ready tomorrow to start filling the pool from (2) house faucets. Have done it that way a couple years ago and only take a couple of days max to fill.

What I need to know is....

A - I read on this forum that you can fill a 5 gallon bucket of water and check the house tap water CH ... as you want to keep the new pool fill balance with around 200 CH and 7.2 PH. I have a black onyx plaster finish and trying to keep it from getting mottled from the start of this refill. Using the CH reading from the 5 gallon test bucket ... you can project out approx need for chems to add at each stage of the refill - 10% - 25% - 50% - 75% then final complete chem readings and start normal adjustments to bring the pool into our levels on all chem readings that we use for the season.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Why do you need a 5 gallon bucket of water to test CH? Just use your test kit. Which one do you have? Please add that to your signature.

I would not add chemicals until you have the pool filled and pump running.

I read on this forum that you can fill a 5 gallon bucket of water and check the house tap water CH ... as you want to keep the new pool fill balance with around 200 CH and 7.2 PH

Where did you read that?

Test your fill water for pH, TA & CH. It gives you an idea of what you need to adjust once your pump is running.

Scale is not casued by high CH levels. It is caused by high Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool If you keep your CSI negative you can have high CH and no scale buildup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.