drained and refilled pool

bryan480

Jan 25, 2019
phoenix
hi everyone
first time poster

so I drained and refilled our pool, 25k gallon last week. Pool is full as of yesterday
Had a question for start up; specifically if I need to add CYA.

I have tons of extra 8 oz pucks from prior pool owner, and was wondering if it would be ok to use them to get the CYA levels up?
Or if I need purchase CYA and add.
I added 4 gallons of 10 percent chlorine purchased from Frys
My plan is to use a combo of bleach and pucks as I have to leave town 8-9 days per month, each month.
The water is as clear as I have ever seen it

I am in phoenix, water temps are over 90 degree for about 4 months out of the year.
Cold right now; pool water around 50 or so.
Currently, about half of the pool gets sun for approx. 5-6 hours a day
I did order my test kit this morning.

thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a complete set of test results from your own test kit?

You can use the pucks, but, they will add very slowly this time of year. I would suggest, after testing, getting at least 30 ppm of CYA in the water then use the pucks for the next couple months until your CYA gets to ~50 ppm. I assume you will be using liquid chlorine daily after that as your signature does not show a SWCG.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Just be aware that the puck use will raise your CYA and lower your pH and TA. So you may have to replace some water each month to get those under control.

So a standalone SWCG can cost ~$1000 for your size pool. You would want to have a SWCG sized for at least 40000 gallons. That way you will only need to run your pump with SWCG 12-14 hours during the summer. As you have a great VS pump, the cost of running the pump is very small. You would need a timer for the SWCG as you do not have automation.

See SWCG List

I cannot. If you wish to hire someone to install a SWCG I would suggest checking with pool stores that sell equipment. You may also need an electrician. The cost for the unit I stated above is for DIY install. I would suspect it will cost quite a bit more for a professional install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.