Drain pool or chem treat?

Thank you. At any point could I use the 45 lbs of baking Soda that the pool store enticed me into buying? Can’t it be used to raise TA & PH?
Sure. But only after consulting the ‘affects of adding’ section of the poolmath app. There are times it lines up with what you need. There are also times that it creates new problems.
Also, am I going to add enough stabilizer to hit a CYA reading of 20? Pool math tells me that’s 5 lbs
Yes. Ultimately you’ll want to be 30, maybe even 40 once the Louisiana sun gets blazing, but for now 20 will protect the FC long enough that it can do its thing. At 0 CYA right now the UV/sun can burn off your added FC in 30 minutes or less. Going right to 40 will require a lot more chlorine added to have the same sanitizing ability with more of the chlorine buffered by the higher CYA. So you want some for now to make it easier to SLaM.

Also, am I going to add enough stabilizer to hit a CYA reading of 20? Pool math tells me that’s 5 lbs
Yes. And maybe more. You might need a few socks. But, it won’t hurt to put in half now and half in a couple days. You really do need it though. Test every day to make sure you don’t overshoot it.

When I put in my first batch, I kept squeezing the sock until it dissolved. Took a couple hours. You don’t want the residual sitting on your liner but you want it in there. I shocked my pool with no cya in it (didn’t know what I was doing at the time) and the chlorine was gone in about 8 hours. Cya does exactly what it says, it stabilizes your chlorine.

I don’t want any confusion about who’s running the show
We all preach the same tried and true method. When I disappear picking up the kids in a bit, others will take over. It’s an AMAZING system. Chime in anytime with anything relevant. (y)

Annnnnnnnnnd we’re off !!!!

First things first you want to add enough 20 mule borax to get the PH to 7.2. This may prove difficult. My own inherited pool after my move took 4 tries as my 6.8 was much much lower. But attempt to raise it per PoolMathand retest. Once the PH is good, get a CYA sock going targeting 20 for now to make the SLAM a little easier. It will take a day or so for the granules to dissolve but just SLAM for 20 per the FC/CYA Levels and when it gets there, it gets there.

Now, you will blow through your FC at first and the more frequently you test/add, the quicker the results. You should shoot for every 2 hours but if life gets in the way, do the best you can.

From here on out you’ll also want to brush twice daily. More if you have the time. Aglae grows a biofilm over itself to protect it and the brushing will help the chlorine kill what’s there on the walls. As you stir it up into the water, BOOM. Dead. But it will also eat up your precious FC so keep on the frequent testing/adding.
Okay so today I will purchase

20 mule team borax (laundry section) - 3 boxes (4lb)

Chlorine jugs blue cap I found a whole end cap in the lawn and garden section of Walmart on the wall facing the back of the store on - 25 jugs

Clorox stabilizer - 2 4lb bag

I will first used the borax tonight to raise ph. Should I dilute it with water? Straight into skimmer?

then I will wait for my ph to increase. After that, I will use the cya sock to increase the cya reading.

*at any point throughout this period should I still continue to add my 3 gallons of liquid chlorine?*

After ph and CYA have increased, I will continue with Slam process until I can pass OCLT

I will first used the borax tonight to raise ph. Should I dilute it with water? Straight into skimmer?
It dispersed easily. Shake it gently into the pool and then brush the area as with any adding just because.
then I will wait for my ph to increase. After that, I will use the cya sock to increase the cya reading
Yup. Or you can start the sock first. You need them both and one does not depend on the other.
at any point throughout this period should I still continue to add my 3 gallons of liquid chlorine
As soon as the PH is 7.2 ish and there is CYA dissolving, SLaM away with the chlorine. Check 15-30 minutes after adding to verify you hit your target. Gallon miscalculations or fresh jugs that sat in the sun during shipping may not reach your target. Test. Add. Verify.
After ph and CYA have increased, I will continue with Slam process until I can pass OCLT
(y)

And backwash your filter anytime the PSI raised 25%. Or the nearest time it’s convenient before that.

the pump runs 24/7 from here on out.

you got this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s a good habit to always give 15 minutes between different adds. This one time won’t matter because not much will be dissolving from the CYA sock at first.

But in the future give any adds 15 mins of circulation as a safety precaution.

Reactions: qsmith3741
It’s a good habit to always give 15 minutes between different adds. This one time won’t matter because not much will be dissolving from the CYA sock at first.

But in the future give any adds 15 mins of circulation as a safety precaution.
Thank you so much for the help. Thank you all! I’ll keep you updated.

Reactions: Newdude
Okay so today I will purchase

20 mule team borax (laundry section) - 3 boxes (4lb)

Chlorine jugs blue cap I found a whole end cap in the lawn and garden section of Walmart on the wall facing the back of the store on - 25 jugs

Clorox stabilizer - 2 4lb bag

then I will wait for my ph to increase. After that, I will use the cya sock to increase the cya reading.

*at any point throughout this period should I still continue to add my 3 gallons of liquid chlorine?*

Don’t put any chemicals in the skimmer!

So I have checked cya and ph this morning. Cya is at about 50 and ph is 7.2. I added 6 lbs of stabilizer. Should I drain a bit to get rid of some cya so I don’t have to use as much liquid chlorine or should I go ahead and just use 6 gallons to reach shock level.

So I have checked cya and ph this morning. Cya is at about 50 and ph is 7.2. I added 6 lbs of stabilizer. Should I drain a bit to get rid of some cya so I don’t have to use as much liquid chlorine or should I go ahead and just use 6 gallons to reach shock level.

Ideally you will want the CYA at 30 or 40 throughout the season. 50 is a bit high and by draining 1/4 you will get rid of some of the yucky water along with the CYA. If it’s easy (feasible drainage) and cheap, it’s always far easier to drain, providing ground water/liner floating isn’t a concern. Why spend $150 on chlorine to treat gross water that costs $50 to replace and start fresh. For those with high water costs or drainage issues, they need to fight the fight.

You can also just proceed needing more FC to reach the higher SLAM target.

Either way, no more adding stabilizer.

Ideally you will want the CYA at 30 or 40 throughout the season. 50 is a bit high and by draining 1/4 you will get rid of some of the yucky water along with the CYA. If it’s easy (feasible drainage) and cheap, it’s always far easier to drain, providing ground water/liner floating isn’t a concern. Why spend $150 on chlorine to treat gross water that costs $50 to replace and start fresh. For those with high water costs or drainage issues, they need to fight the fight.

You can also just proceed needing more FC to reach the higher SLAM target.

Either way, no more adding stabilizer.
I do not have a drain at the bottom of the pool. I could backwash or vacuum to waste but, this will only take me so far below the skimmer. the local pool co will drain for $600 though😬

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.