Drain pool or chem treat?

I think you forgot a link.
Ha !!!!! Thanks. Stupid 2 bar cell service.

Ha !!!!! Thanks. Stupid 2 bar cell service.

So question guys/gals. Why liquid chlorine at 10% over calc-hypo at 93%??

Cal hypo works when you have no calcium issues. Do you? Also, you must make sure it is completely dissolved. If it sits on your pool surface, it will stain it.

The Calc part of Cal-Hypo. It raises your calcium which, if you happened to need some anyway isn't a bad thing, but repeatedly blindly using them leads to having to drain. There is no way to lower calcium, CYA or Salt without draining. Being in Louisiana, rain will help dillute it some, but it takes forever.

Reactions: qsmith3741
The Calc part of Cal-Hypo. It raises your calcium which, if you happened to need some anyway isn't a bad thing, but repeatedly blindly using them leads to having to drain. There is no way to lower calcium, CYA or Salt without draining. Being in Louisiana, rain will help dillute it some, but it takes forever.
I think I’ll make the permanent switch to bleach. Cheaper anyway:laughblue:

I think I’ll make the permanent switch to bleach. Cheaper anyway:laughblue:
If you ever do use Cal-hypo with a vinyl pool as already stated make sure it’s well mixed. I use a 5 gallon bucket and never add more then 2 pounds of it at a time and mix it with one of these and a drill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good evening everyone,

tonight I added 2 jugs of liquid chlorine and decided I would brush the floors to kick up some algae and kill as much as I could. I swear for a moment I could see the bottom of the pool, shortly after I just seen CLOUDS of brown. I continued to brush in hopes of killing as much as possible. Should I be worried? My test kit shipped out this AM.

No worries. You're doing great. It is not getting any worse and it might even be getting a little better while you wait for the kit.

You have some of finest helping you already! Notice how your pond it already changing color. That is because the chlorine is already working! You are on your way to a clean and clear pool!!

I would leave your filter on 24/7 to help clear the dead algae. Keep brushing as this will get the dead algae up and into the water for the filter to do it's thing!

Kim:kim:

I’m no expert, but I would put a couple more gallons of chlorine in there while waiting for the test kit. I’d also keep the filter running most, if not all of the day. And, I think you said you had a sand filter - I would back flush that or whatever you do to clean it. I have a cartridge filter, so I’d be spraying that thing off every day.

One thing I’m sure of, stay patient and work with the folks on this site and you’ll be very happy with the results. I started out with them so I’ve never had a problem, but I’ve read through a lot of this site and they’ve handled a lot of crazy stuff. Yours doesn’t seem that bad compared to some. You‘re probably just going to need a lot of chlorine. Read up on the SLAM process.

Also, good call on getting the speed stir. That thing makes testing a breeze.

One thing I’m sure of, stay patient and work with the folks on this site and you’ll be very happy with the results
^^^^^^. All of THAT. Pool owner patience (pop) is one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle and also one of the most important. Don’t overreact. Test, post your results and hang tight while however you were guided does it’s thing.

It takes time to kill algae. It takes even more time to filter it out. Have a tasty beverage and post pics to pass the time.

how we’re looking today... test kit won’t be in till the 5th sadly🙁

Attachments

• 0822D491-D793-4621-8D05-B58C3139E835.jpeg
    0822D491-D793-4621-8D05-B58C3139E835.jpeg
    639.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 7393F85F-C366-4E66-B43C-DF454BF0A885.jpeg
    7393F85F-C366-4E66-B43C-DF454BF0A885.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 9E9D4C27-4020-4C58-A7DB-645660961909.jpeg
    9E9D4C27-4020-4C58-A7DB-645660961909.jpeg
    706.1 KB · Views: 34
  • F42839DD-8ABD-42F9-A6AC-C3F1A84DEFC1.jpeg
    F42839DD-8ABD-42F9-A6AC-C3F1A84DEFC1.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 35

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.