Drain from the wall/bottom outlets only?

chulinet

May 8, 2020
Sugar Land, TX
I need to drain quite a lot water from my pool to reduce CYA accumulated by the chlorine tablets, yet it seems that I cannot drain from the wall/bottom outlets only. The attached photo shows the pipes, with the labels added after some experiments by myself. I can turn off one skimmer, but not both. Do I miss anything? If not, do I have to put a plug into each of the skimmer holes? Thanks so much for any help!

Pool pipes.jpg

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
It is not recommended to use your pool pump to drain/exchange water in your pool. If you lose prime, you can burn up your pump.
Get a submersible pump. If it is safe in your area to drain a pool, then you can rent one from Home Depot and be done in a few hours. If your water table is high and you should not drain your pool, then get a 1/2 hp sump pump from Amazon or Harbor Freight and do a no-drain water exchange.
Read Draining - Further Reading
What test results are you going by that says you need to drain your pool?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

chulinet

May 8, 2020
Sugar Land, TX
Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestions!
I have a plaster pool, and the CYA was 100+ a couple of weeks ago. Since I can only discharge some water before air gets in from the skimmers, the CYA is still more than 70 despite quite a few dilution efforts.

chulinet

May 8, 2020
Sugar Land, TX
My local Leslie stores tested the water for me. The results sound skeptical to me, though. CYA fluctuated from 100+ to less than 40 after a couple of dilutions, yet jumped to 70+ after more dilutions and shocks with Leslie's power powder pro, which is supposed to have no CYA. I also tried liquid chlorine to shock the water.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
I would not trust a Leslies pool store test for anything.

I suggest you get your own test kit. See Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.