Drain and refill in the winter

Sep 10, 2018
Athens, Ohio
Well it had been close to five months since the last drain and refill so I finally bit the bullet and did it yesterday since it was getting up to 38 degrees. I was going to purge with awesome but it was 29 outside when I started the drain and I didn't want to mess with it so I just drained, rinsed out the inside wiped the water line areas down with vinegar and a microfiber cloth, rinsed the filter, and filled it back up. It honestly wasn't to bad and now that I have gotten the hang of the adjusting the water the TFP way it was a breeze getting it right back to all the correct levels. It was funny though when I turned the tub back on the screen kept flashing to cold at me so I guess it doesn't recommend getting in a 42 degree hot tub lol.

Prior to switching to the TFP method I was lucky to get 6 to 8 weeks out of a water change and after switching to the TFP method I went almost 5 months which I know isn't the best idea. I still wasn't having any trouble with the water either even after 5 months. My CC was always lower than 1 and usually hung out around .5. water always looked clear and smelled great. Thanks guys!

Reactions: Smittysmith
My ONLY problem that i continually have is 1-2 CC and I cant seem to get rid of it. I have no access to sunlight where the tub is. I could try a shock to like 15 or something crazy, but then my tub is not usable for a while... Its not having a big time effect on things, but i would still like it under 1.

I almost forgot to mention something funny......
I went to grab a new filter from the spa store near me and the guy who owns the place asked if I needed any frog cartridges. I told him no and he asked me where I was getting them from and said he would price match. I told I switched to chlorine and he tried to sell me dichlor. I finally told him I was using bleach and he then went on to tell me how it would ruin my hot tub. I listened for awhile before asking him what the difference between liquid chlorine and bleach was. He said the liquid chlorine was formulated for pools and spas. I thanked him and left.

Yeah he really did not seem to like the idea of bleach in a hot tub. Kept saying oh don't do that it's terrible for them etc......

On another note my friend finally bought a hot tub and the first thing I did was send him a link to this place and explain why I thought he should try it. He told me he doesn't get as worried about things as me and isn't going to worry about it. I told him Google biofilms, folliculitis, legioniarres, etc and he will be. Sent him the link for the tftest kits also. I give it a few months and he will be asking again lol.

What you just hit was one reason I use the word chlorine instead of bleach. Yeah it is all semantics but for some reason it seems to stop this look :shock: when you say it.

:roll: on the friend.............he will be burning your phone up when someone in his family develops a rash from the hot tub...........He will be ready to listen to you then. You will show up with your official looking test kit. Once they see you doing all of those color magic tricks with the test kit they will be a believer!

Reactions: Certified106
What you just hit was one reason I use the word chlorine instead of bleach. Yeah it is all semantics but for some reason it seems to stop this look :shock: when you say it.

Same here. To the uninitiated, water treated with chlorine makes sense, while swimming or soaking in water treated with bleach conjures up all kinds of negative reactions. It's understandable. To a slightly lesser degree, there is still the misconception that swimming in a 'salt water pool' is like swimming in the ocean.

Reactions: Certified106
tell you what, I am having a DANG hard time finding bleach without a bunch of junk in it... Tonight at target, NO bleach, clorox or off brand didnt have additives etc. My local grocery store, nothing either. The only place I can find is walmarts Great value brand at 5.79%.
Where do you guys find bleach? online anywhere specific? dont mind buying in bulk :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am lucky the Ace Hardware just up the road carries chlorine that is stated to be 11%. Do you have a source for chlorine like a pool store? How about a major cleaning supply place? Some times they carry chlorine.

Make sure you are doing apples to apples-check the % of each one and do the math. If you can get one gal at $1 that is 6% and you can get one gal at $1 that is 11% which one is the better deal? Know I am making up the numbers just to get my idea out there.

Be VERY careful at Lowes and Home Depot. They are known to sell salt water aka outdated chlorine. If it is older than 3 months you do not want it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.