Downsides of Integrated Spa?

Jun 27, 2018
Naples,FL
As we design our pool, we had planned a raised spa in the corner of the pool. We loved a picture we saw of a spa “in” the pool. It was at one end and the spa water level looks even to the pool. We liked the looks of that design. There must be a wall just to the water level which would keep the cooler pool water out of the spa. Anyone with experience with this “integrated” design? Upsides and downsides? Thanks again. Bill.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Integrated spas have 'spillovers', such that during pool operations some or all of your return water goes to the spa and then spills over into the pool. The issue with that is it creates aeration, which drives pH higher. So you want to be able to control that flow.

In Florida, as I am in southern Nevada, an integrated spa is OK as we never close our pools. However, it will never rival the comfort and ease of use of a stand alone spa/hot tub.

If you would like to learn more about TFPC, I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School.

Hard to heat is what I’d call it. Water overflows into the pool when everyone gets in the spa, then when a few get out the cold pool water rushes back in. In a raised spa there’s no backflow into the spa. The water level just remains low until it’s put back in pool mode.

I don’t really think it has a name. Take a look at the build in my signature. Our edge is curved and raised about 2 inches above the pool so the water gently flows over the edge into the pool.

When we use the spa no water backflows from the pool to spa.

My spa is just about 1 inch above pool water level, but lower than the coping so that it can all be covered with an automatic cover (which was the primary reason for this design choice. Because of the minimal distance for water to drop and the vast spillover edge, I don't worry about aeration when I leave it in spillover mode to mix the water. People getting in and out do displace some heated water but not enough to care.

pool.jpg

I imagine you just take a slight efficiency loss, bit with a 400K standard heater you could maintain temperature in a spa that is just slightly below the surface. The amount of spa-pool water exchange is going to be negligible compared to the volume of hot water in the spa that is constantly being turned over for heating.

I love my in pool spa. Heating the spa takes no time, and people playing in the pool and having the water go in to the spa is a non issue. I also like being able to slither from the spa in to the pool or vice versa without having to get out of either to do so...to each their own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.