Dormant pool for at least 3 years - what can I save?

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Long time since I have been here but now I am back.

So we have a 27' round ABG pool with a hayward sand filter and pump (good sized I forget the model though). Also have a salt unit.

Pool has been sitting dormant for 3 years (sadly uncovered) so it is a train wreck.

I already know from experience I need to drain it and replace the liner (luckily I think I found a liner but no one to do the work).

The equipment sits about 50 feet away from the pool inside a metal shed so it has basically been out of the elements for the most part (doors don't close well)

My question pertains to the equipment is it a goner and I just need to get new stuff and move on, if so what should I get?

If its not a goner what steps do I take to get it going again and clearly I wouldn't want to have the nasty Crud that is in there dump into our newly lined pool.

TIA for your help.

Last edited:
Where you at ? In a friendly climate the equipment may have fared well. In a harsh one maybe not.

You can try to run the equipment, if it works, use it as long as it will last. That will give you a chance to not buy everything at once.

And how would I go about testing this best?

Fill pool, attach hose to the filter and set it on waste and see what happens? I would be concerned about old nasty water, waste etc inside the 50 yards of supply and return pipes in the ground as well.

If I was to replace the equipment my plan was to just cut the pipes and redo them placing the equipment right next to the pool and then building a small shed/cover etc over top the equipment. In many ways it would make things easier I just hate having the equipment right there but it might be a better solutions.

For replacements what would you guys recommend?

And how would I go about testing this best?

Fill pool, attach hose to the filter and set it on waste and see what happens? I would be concerned about old nasty water, waste etc inside the 50 yards of supply and return pipes in the ground as well
You really don’t have much to lose by letting her rip. Obviously you’ll be expecting failure sooner than later but if it all works for a season or 3 there is no harm in spreading out the financial hit.

‘Doing it once and doing it right’ has its merits too as you can move onto any of the 75 other projects we all have and never look back.

Please keep us posted. Diamond in the rough’s are our FAV kinda stories.

If it was me, I would fill it up and turn on everything and take inventory of what equipment works & doesn't, then if it's all working I would SLAM Process but that's me I love a good clean up very self satisfying

Reactions: Newdude
Draining and refilling is by far the easiest and quickest way to solve it, if those 2 options are feasible for you. Some areas have nowhere to put the exit water and/or no cheap way to fill it back up.

if you need to clear it as is, we would LOVE to guide you. Toss us some occasional pics and we’ll call it even !!

Reactions: clambert1273

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Draining and refilling is by far the easiest and quickest way to solve it, if those 2 options are feasible for you. Some areas have nowhere to put the exit water and/or no cheap way to fill it back up.

if you need to clear it as is, we would LOVE to guide you. Toss us some occasional pics and we’ll call it even !!
While I am not wild about cost the water cost is the cheapest part of all of this, lol.

Evacuating the water and cleaning out the pool - nightmare.

I called Home Depot and they have a 2" submersible pump I can rent for $45 for the day. They have hoses for it that are 50 feet long and they can give me a few of them. I probably need 100-150 feet of hose to get out of the pool out the backyard down the driveway to the edge of the street. From there the water could flow down the street the sewer intake (probably another 50 feet or so I believe). I don't think the water would pool anywhere as the street is slightly downhill.

I have done this before and it was nightmare to do and I hate doing it again but the wife wants to the pool back. I wish I had about 30k to have a contractor come put in an inground pool and be done with it but all our funds are going to college tuition x 2 right now.

I would try to salvage if I thought it was at all possible. I just feel like its a hopeless cause because while I MIGHT be able to get the water to clear up assuming the pump/filter all works I don't think I would ever be able to get all the gunk and mess off the bottom and clean.

What filter and pump should I purchase if I go with new equipment. Local shop I called about the liner is basically telling me I need to buy new. Of course I am sure they just want to sell me the equipment vs help me out.

I would do vs pump if possible, I just got a new filter that replaced my DE filter ( I loved my de filter it was a beast of a workhorse) so far my new cartridge one is doing fine

So the crud is coming out either way. You’ll have to scoop it the hard way with a full pool, stirring it all up with each scoop (maddening at times but does eventually get it all), or drain 90% of them water and have a much easier time scooping what little is left.

We can also clear that water no problem. It takes effort and patience and many doses of chlorine. It didn’t go green overnight and there is no magic bullet to fix it. You’ll probably spend $100-$200 on chlorine if you choose to fight it, so weigh that against the pump costs.
whatever struggle the pump hoses are will be comparable in effort to the brushing and vacuuming you’ll need to do if you fight it. Many small brushing efforts many times. Or one honking effort with the pump and let her rip.

the liner is holding water. It may be bleached, or not all that pretty anymore, but it clearly isn’t leaking. If you are replacing the liner this is all a moot point because you are draining at that point no matter what.

The equipment will be tricky to decide because of the ongoing backorders everywhere. You’ll probably have to settle one way or the other. I swear by my cartridges for the record. A 2 speed pump is a great happy medium for above ground pools. Much cheaper than the full Variable speed pumps but you’ll get 90% of the electric savings on low speed, and full speed for the few times it’s necessary like vacuuming.

My preference would be cartridge over sand but that's me
I never thought about it. Guess I have to go figure it all out. Afraid to call any other people as I just feel like they all want to screw me over.

I was lucky to find a liner tbh. Don't think can handle doing the liner myself and so far can't find anyone who will do it either. None of course will deal with draining, cleaning up and getting the pool going.

Guess they only want to sell and install a new pool.

So the crud is coming out either way. You’ll have to scoop it the hard way with a full pool, stirring it all up with each scoop (maddening at times but does eventually get it all), or drain 90% of them water and have a much easier time scooping what little is left.

We can also clear that water no problem. It takes effort and patience and many doses of chlorine. It didn’t go green overnight and there is no magic bullet to fix it. You’ll probably spend $100-$200 on chlorine if you choose to fight it, so weigh that against the pump costs.
whatever struggle the pump hoses are will be comparable in effort to the brushing and vacuuming you’ll need to do if you fight it. Many small brushing efforts many times. Or one honking effort with the pump and let her rip.

the liner is holding water. It may be bleached, or not all that pretty anymore, but it clearly isn’t leaking. If you are replacing the liner this is all a moot point because you are draining at that point no matter what.

The equipment will be tricky to decide because of the ongoing backorders everywhere. You’ll probably have to settle one way or the other. I swear by my cartridges for the record. A 2 speed pump is a great happy medium for above ground pools. Much cheaper than the full Variable speed pumps but you’ll get 90% of the electric savings on low speed, and full speed for the few times it’s necessary like vacuuming.

Ok what pump and filter should I go with - assuming cartridge for now.

And how long do cartridges last - 1 season?

And yes I believe the liner in the pool is still holding water ok as its not disappearing much over the last 3 years but draining and cleaning seems to be the best choice however as I understand it once I drain I am screwed since the liner will not retain its shape and will rupture once refilled.

let’s tag in @cowboycasey for pump selections. He always has a great list for these. Cartridges can last 10 seasons when properly cared for with good chemistry. We’ll set you up GREAT with those skills when the time comes.

Reactions: clambert1273

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.