Dont' Want to Drain my Pool

Does your CYA test come right to the 100 line or does the dot dissapear below it? If below it then you need to mix half tap water and half pool water and use that to run a CYA test and then multiply the results by 2 to figure out what your actual CYA level is.

I don't see anything in your testing that indicates ammonia, you don't need to test for that.

Try to keep the shock level above minimum at all times. letting it slip down below shock level is a gain for the algae.
This will prolong your slam time and bleach expense.

don't forget to brush the pool surface entirely at least 1 time a day, twice a day even better.

If I were you, I would complete the slam, then wait until next spring to do anything about the CYA for 2 reasons:

1. If you get lucky, the SLAM levels MIGHT oxidize some of that CYA down. On my first slam CYA went from 70 to 30.

2. again if lucky, you might lose some of the CYA over the winter.

Borjis,
You read my mind. I do plan to complete the slam, then in Sept., drain more water than normal when we close the pool. We usually have to pump water out over the winter months, so it should actually help. Hopefully between the rain/snow it should lower the CYA.
Donldson, thanks for tip. I'll try it and see if it lowers my CYA.
I guess I should also start using my pool cover to lower evaporation rate for chlorine.

Did you lower your PH to 7.2 or so? I saw where your PH was 7.7. If your FC level is over 10, don't test for this as the test will be inaccurate. If it is under 10, test and add muriatic acid to lower to 7.2 per Pool Math.

I guess I should also start using my pool cover to lower evaporation rate for chlorine.

I think I read somewhere it is best to have the pool NOT covered during a slam with all
the combined chlorine out gassing that will occur.

Once the slam is done then use the cover and yes it will GREATLY reduce pool evaporation
and save on chlorine.

In full sun with a blue solar cover, my pool only needs 1.5 gallons of bleach per week.
uncovered it needs 1 gallon every other day.

Borjis,
You read my mind. I do plan to complete the slam, then in Sept., drain more water than normal when we close the pool. We usually have to pump water out over the winter months, so it should actually help. Hopefully between the rain/snow it should lower the CYA.
Donldson, thanks for tip. I'll try it and see if it lowers my CYA.

I think you have a good plan. Late last season when we found TFP our cya measured at 160. We did a pretty big drain/fill and got the cya down to 60 before closing. The pool was pretty easy to maintain at this level.

When we closed we just drained to normal closing levels. As you know last winter was pretty intense precipitation wise and we wound up pumping water out 3 times over the winter (most winters only need to do it once or twice) and the pool was full when we opened. cya had dropped to 20 and we had to add some stabilizer during opening. Have been keeping cya between 30 and 40 this season - it's been fantastic and trouble free.

I want to thank everyone for their support of me while I was stressing out over my pool. I now have a pool that is cleaner and clearer than I've seen it in over 10 years. I didn't realize that the pool and hot tub were supposed to be the same color. I couldn't figure out why the color of the water in my hot tub looked clear like a glass of water, but the pool was a darker color. Duh! It wasn't clean! With some perseverance and patience, it paid off in a totally unexpected way. I am now a true believer in the TFP method.

Attachments

• DSCF0099.jpg
    DSCF0099.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.