Don't Forget To Lay In Some Emergency Chlorine!

revitup

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 30, 2019
Pawleys Island, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
All you fellow Carolinians with SWCGs in the path of Isaias, make sure you have some chlorine on hand in case power is out for a day or 2 or 3. I happen to have 6 gallons left from a slam a few weeks ago otherwise I'd be scrambling to find some today.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You can run your SWG on superchlorinate or 100% before the storm hits until your FC is up to SLAM FC level. That gives you a few days of reserve chlorine in case if a power outage.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You can run your SWG on superchlorinate or 100% before the storm hits until your FC is up to SLAM FC level. That gives you a few days of reserve chlorine in case if a power outage.

You can if you thought about it a few days ago. Right now we are only about 8-10 hours from when the winds and rain hits here. One question is how much of the reserve chlorine that you may added to the pool with the SWG on 100% will be diluted with the 5 inches of rain that are forecast here over the next 24 hours. My water level is close to the overflow tube due to recent rains so whatever I receive will dilute the pool water and run down the overflow tube. I'm hoping that I don't lose power since I would have no way to mix any chlorine I could add to the pool. Just scatter it on the surface the best that I can.

My understanding is that a lot of mixing isn't required when adding chlorine. In any case, just adding it to the pool without a running pump is way better than nothing.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I just tested the pool. FC is 8.0 ppm. I don't keep liquid chlorine on hand since I don't have a need for it. I could make a run to Home Depot after work if they are still open but I'll probably just hope for the best.

My understanding is that a lot of mixing isn't required when adding chlorine. In any case, just adding it to the pool without a running pump is way better than nothing.
There will be some mixing by dumping it. Water and Liquid Cl have different specific gravity. The chlorine will sink to the bottom and dilute along the way. I usually run along the edge of the pool when I'm extra energetic -- when I'm not I do the corners.

EDIT: Honest ydisclaimer -- when I'm really less than energetic, I get my youngest to do it, which should be my default response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The chlorine will sink to the bottom and dilute along the way.
Nope. While it is heavier than water, chlorine is very quickly distributed throughout your pool and should test the same FC at ANY level.

Pump running it is quickly dispersed. Pump not running it will pool for a very short period but eventually will disperse evenly with just a little mixing.

Stirring a 20,000 gallon pool with a brush is like stirring sugar added to a big glass of tea with a toothpick.

we had someone here keep her pool clean for a month w/ liquid chlorine & a brush while she waited on her new pump. It’s absolutely doable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.