Dolphin S200 getting clogged

apv

Apr 30, 2019
Austin, TX
I recently swapped out the ol' polaris with a new Dolphin S200 and it works pretty great -- except for when the basket gets clogged.

Situation is that I have two live oaks next to the pool, and they're shedding leaves like crazy. I have empty both my skimmers twice a day to keep up and there is a carpet on the bottom. That's no problem --the problem is that the DolphinS200 filter basket's entry flap thingamob gets clogged by the leaves and it can no longer suck up the bazillions of other leaves.

Tomorrow I will try to duct tape down the flappy entry flap into the basket and see if that helps -- anyone have any other ideas?

TIA

Last year there was some discussion about the skimmer problem and there were a few different designs available plus there was a diy version here too on the forum. Just search for it. It's important as this can put undue stress on the pump if it runs restricted for too long.
The dolphin and the like are designed for the occasional few leaves on the pool floor but really not meant for a major leaf clean up. On Amazon there's a nice product that should take care of the leaves on the pool floor in short order.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007PZN9Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_OAjxEb4ATRV5G

Reactions: apv
Reactions: wireform and apv
On the few occasions I let a substantial layer of leaves accumulate on my pool floor, my Dolphin S300 sucked up so many that the basket was fully packed. I had to repeat the process several times to clear the pool bottom. This, however, was an isolated circumstance. Just keep emptying/clearing until you start to make a dent. That condition will challenge any pool cleaner, so either accept the temporary inconvenience or get a leaf rake and manually clear it.

My dolphin e10 can get loaded up with pine straw if there is too much on the floor.

As someone said, this big load of debris isn't meant to be done by robots. When I have that much I get out the leaf rake and get as much out as I can then let the e10 take care of it. Usually it's only bad like that on opening day.

When these robots get full they also get heavy putting a strain on the internal pump as it doesn't let water easily pass through the filter. In a gunnite pool when they start to slip climbing the walls, the rubber on the wheels rub out and end up too smooth.

Reactions: Global Charming
I have an Active 30i (aka S300i) so probably similar to yours. One thing I do when the leaves are have is I remove the black fabric thing. I think Maytronics calls it the "Non Return Flap". That lets the leaves flow more easily into the basket. Note that you need to lift the robot out of the pool more slowly and you will lose some leaves back. But with the flap the fabric thing would clog in a few minutes and leave the basket empty.

Once the bulk of the leaves are gone, but it back in and then you can get after the smaller stuff.

Make sure you have the flat filters (Spring and Fall Filters) installed and NOT the accordion style filters (Ultra Fine Filters). The Spring and Fall Filters work much better when you have lots of leaves. I agree with all the other posts - definitely empty your basket more often if you have as many leaves as you as describing. Hopefully the tree will stop shedding soon!

Just Curious, How did the old Polaris do with all the leaves? Also, I have that leaf collector that Wireform gave a link to and it did not work to well for me. Leaf rake does pretty well if it gets too heavy and traps water such that you can't get it out of pool, I have used large mouth fishing net with fairly large netting leaves do not make it through the net but water does. There is also a leaf cover that is relatively inexpensive when compared to a trampoline cover. I solved my problem by cutting the tree down but really just wanted more sun for heat, but live in NJ not Tx, also I covered the pool with a trampoline cover before leaves fell then pulled them off when they were dry with pool brush but again I live in NJ and close the pool before leaves really start falling heavy in TX you might keep open year round.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.