Dolphin Premier

Not sure what the extension cord has to do with your decision but your robot will work fine off any average 25' outdoor 3 prong extension with room to spare. The M4/M5 power supply draws 2 amps. The average 25' outdoor extension cord is rated for 13 amps. Telling you not to use one is more for a safety reason. The line voltage cord on the power supply is not long enough to reach the pool from an outlet the approved distance from the pool. For safety only the low voltage cord from the PS to the robot should be able to reach the pool. Add an extension cord and you can now reach the pool. The added length also increases the possibility of you hunting around for another outlet to plug into which may not be GFI protected like the one by the pool is.
I see no reason not to go for the M5 other than to save some money. I haven't run into anyone yet who is not pleased. This thing kicks my aquabot turbo's butt. I am having a climbing problem right now but I am willing to accept that as an issue with my pool being it works fine in my dealer's pool. Even with the climbing problem I plan on keeping it being it is so much better than my other options.
As far as zero turn lawn mowers go, I live in a rural area with many large lawns. Many people using them with no complaints. I considered one a couple of years ago when my old tractor died but I still needed the versatility of a tractor. I ended up getting a John Deere with 4 wheel steering to get me some of the maneuverability of a zero turn but still have a tractor.

bigbadwullf said:
Was told and thought i read where an extension cord voids the warranty

I just read through the warranty that came with my M5 and no mention of it in there. There is a separate booklet called safety Instructions (nothing to do with the warranty) and in there it states "To reduce risk of electric shock do not use extension cord". Also says "Only a trained operator should operate the Robot Pool Cleaner"

My test of the Dolphin Supreme M4. I have a 38,000 gallon L-shaped pool. If you have an L-shaped pool you understand that pool cleaners just don't go to every spot and you have problems with the cleaner migrating to the deep end of the pool no matter what you do. If you shorten the lead to the cleaner so it doesn't get to the deep end, then some corners don't get cleaned. My only cleaner to date is the Hayward Navigator I've had for 8 years. Yes, I have replaced some parts as needed. It's a love/hate relationship at best. When it works and you have everything set just right, it is an amazing cleaner. The next time you use it, it will get stuck on a wall face or the drain(yes I have the bumper for it) or refuse to move or go slow or...you name it.
Enter a chance to demo the M4. I had let the pool get out of whack and had a light to moderate film of algae everywhere. Floor, walls, everywhere. What better way to test a pool cleaner :). I had it for 3 days. The first time I put it in, it seemed to get maybe half the algae in it's run. Ok, well maybe it isn't the best cleaner I thought. But I stuck with it and over the course of three days I just let it do it's thing. The only place it DIDN'T clean was a section it just didn't reach because the lead just wasn't quite long enough to reach. EVERYTHING was clean. The floor, the walls, everything. And this is set up just the way they handed it to me. I messed with nothing.
So all the algae was gone but I decided to let it keep going. Let's just say I never even knew there was sand in my pool but the cleaner just kept getting it out. Quite amazing.
I will say it seemed like it spent a LOT of time in the deep end of the pool but the whole pool was clean so it got everywhere.
Long story/short I think I will get the M4. I don't think I have a need for the M5 and it's additional cost doesn't seem worth it to me but you have a day or so to convince me of that.... :)

This is a bit off topic but needs addressing.....

No cleaner of any kind should be relied upon to remove algae from your pool....it doesn't work.

You may scoop up a lot of visible algae, but there is still plenty left to multiply. Algae is a living organism and there are billions of new algae spores waiting to blossom even if you clean your pool fifty times.

Chlorine prevents and kills algae. Algae would never get a foot hold in a pool if there was adequate chlorine present. Likewise in an algae laden pool, chlorine is the answer to killing it and getting it out of your pool.

Your filter and your robot then perform the clean-up of the "dead bodies" but they cannot kill any living algae in your pool.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School to understand the function of chlorine and then read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School to learn how to correctly clear a pool with algae.

This forum's particular strength is pool water management and we teach how to keep algae out of your pool.....or how to get rid of it if it's already established. A robot can certainly help in the removal of non-living debris but has minimal affect on living algae.

You are correct. I said (I) and I alone let the pool get away from me. But it gave me the chance to see how the cleaner worked as I could see it's tracks. Yes, I shocked. Yes I got the chlorine under control. Yes I got the stabilizer under control. Yes I cleaned THEIR cleaner up and 'disinfected' it before I gave it back to them, including the filters, and inside the cleaner. It was cleaner than when they gave it to me, by a looooong shot. It was a time for me to see how the cleaner operated as I could see it work. Thanks for the admonishment and the advice.

Not an admonishment but a clarification. Too many absolute newbies read these posts and they could mistakenly get the impression they need a new cleaner instead of getting their pool chemistry correct.

bigbadwullf said:
Long story/short I think I will get the M4. I don't think I have a need for the M5 and it's additional cost doesn't seem worth it to me but you have a day or so to convince me of that.... :)
I won't even try. Everything I hear about the M4 indicates it's a great cleaner. My dealer stocks the M4 and sells mostly M4's. He had to order the M5 for me. It cost me $200. more than the M4. My main reason for getting the M5 was the additional motor and the split brushes which allow it to turn on a dime. To control turning radius with the M4 you move the floats in and out which creates a drag in the water to help it turn more to one side or the other. The remote was icing on the cake but something I could get by without. I don't believe I read any bad reviews about either one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm evaluating the different robotic cleaners and am leaning toward a Dolphin. Locally, I can get the Deluxe series from Leslie's, but it appears the 3rd roller on the M4/M5 is a major improvement from this thread. Any other thoughts on the Deluxe series? Also, I didn't see any mention of the Hayward SharkVac or Tiger Shark. That is one of the others I'm looking at - primarily because that what my PB has in his package and they are also available at another local pool supply. Any thoughts on those two would also be appreciated.

Does it have to be online? I shopped online then got a local dealer to match the price. If it really does have to be online some of the online dealers were accepting phone orders as a way to get around the no online sales rule. Local dealer has the advantage of quick repair if needed as long as you can get them to match price.

^just reporting in as I close my first season with M4 supreme.

It did an awesome job all summer, and to my utter amazement, ALSO has been sucking up pretty substantial amounts of leaves every day for the last week -- using the spring cleanup baskets. Said leaves have not slowed it or in anyway challenged its vigorous side climbing either. Outstanding performance for fall :)

I really couldn't be happier with this purchase!

Well, after discussing this at length with duraleigh and reading this thread I have ditched a pressure side cleaner from my pool bid pacakage. Builder got back with me last night and said no problem doing a switch. I imagine I will go with the M5 but still considering it. I was skeptical at first, but the more I think about the more I like the idea of not having an extra pump and other limitations/costs of running a pressure side unit.

Besides, I believe Dave said if it didn't take care of the pool to my satisfaction, he'd arrange a service, or come clean my pool himself if he had too. Something along those lines....:whoot:

Besides, I believe Dave said if it didn't take care of the pool to my satisfaction, he'd arrange a service
Oh, yeah....We'll arrange a service....no doubt.

I am currently watching the entire series of The Sopranos of which I had never seen an episode.

Tony Soprano has opened my eyes to an entirely new business model and it seems remarkably effective. I and some of my paisans will be in touch.....we don't need a phone or email....we'll just show up and get you signed up for the "service" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh God, please don't send Furio!
We are only midway into season three and Furio has rapidly become a favorite character. Please don't reveal anything we might not yet know.

Watching Gandolfini playing Tony must be what it was like to see Mozart write music. What a stunningly believable actor (RIP) :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.