Dolphin Diagnostics (2008) wiring repair help.

Nov 12, 2009
Tulsa,OK
My Maytronics Dolphin Diagnostics robot has ran great until now. I know it's on the OLD side, but thought it was worth a little time to try and repair.
As I suspected water has gotten into the housing. It was not full, just a little water.
After disassembly I've checked both motors to be working by applying 12v. Circuit board could be toast, but it did move briefly right before I removed it from the pool.

I'm not sure how the wiring connects as there are Only two wires, white and black, in the cord but three pins on the unit. I could not tell if the hot (white wire) connected to one pin or two on the external side due to corrosion and debris.
On the inside part there is a white, black, AND a red wire connected to the pins. I'm confused as what the inside(thinner) red wire does if it connects to the pin that has nothing connected to it on the external side. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Dolphin.jpg
    Dolphin.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 6
Gull,

That is a very old Dolphin Diagnostic robot with a bag filter. It has to be 20 years old!!!

It was the first type of robot that I ever owned. I still have the scars on my hands from removing and installing the motor box. :mrgreen:

Newer units come with 2-wire cables when they have no remote control, but have 3-wire cables when they come with some kind of remote control. I assume that is true in your case, as the connectors are identical to what they use today.

I think you are peeing into the wind, as once water gets into the motor box, it corrodes the circuit cards, making them useless.

Sorry that I can't directly answer your question..

Hope you get it working.. If you decide to get a new one, check out the EVO..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: gullzway
Gull,

That is a very old Dolphin Diagnostic robot with a bag filter. It has to be 20 years old!!!

It was the first type of robot that I ever owned. I still have the scars on my hands from removing and installing the motor box. :mrgreen:

Newer units come with 2-wire cables when they have no remote control, but have 3-wire cables when they come with some kind of remote control. I assume that is true in your case, as the connectors are identical to what they use today.

I think you are peeing into the wind, as once water gets into the motor box, it corrodes the circuit cards, making them useless.

Sorry that I can't directly answer your question..

Hope you get it working.. If you decide to get a new one, check out the EVO..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. Mine doesn't have a remote, just the Power pack that has an On/Off switch. Not sure why there's a red wire from the circuit board connected on the underside, maybe there was an upgraded model that had a remote.
In that case, maybe the red wire doesn't do anything? Anyway, I'll do my best to put it back together and see if it works, if not I'll just scrap it.

I'll take a look at the EVO, though I'm pretty frugal when it comes to these, as they are a convenience not a necessity. I bought the Dolphin about 8 years ago used for $200, Lol. I guess I've gotten my money's worth.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Just a follow up! It's working again.

I took a gamble, that I probably shouldn't have, and spent $90 on a used replacement that looked in good condition, minus the power supply.
No surprise It didn't run. When I took the motor apart on it there was no sign of moisture. I did notice one of the resistors looked possibly burnt out. I removed that resistor from my old board and replaced it, and it's working again.

Honestly these things are pretty simple. There's two motors and a control board. I was debating ordering a control board replacement for $45 on eBay, I guess I don't have to now.

Attachments

• IMG20240509225046.jpg
    IMG20240509225046.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 5