Dolphin Active 20 will climb 90deg walls but not 45deg?

Mar 20, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I have a 18x36' IG vinyl lined pool and recently scored a nice 4yo Dolphin Active 20 on marketplace for $150! The robot works great in all areas of the pool except it is unable to scrub the waterline in the deep end as it cannot climb the ~45 degree walls which lead from the floor of the deep end to the 90 degree sidewall portion. When it's on the 45 degree walls, the tracks spin as it gets about halfway up the wall and then it gives up and goes back down. It climbs the 90 degree walls in the shallow end just fine and scrubs the waterline there. I attached a pic of my pool deep end, so you can see the wall incline I'm referring to.

I am using the fine filters and have thoroughly cleaned them. I have brushed these 45 degree walls with no improvement in performance. I follow the TFP way of testing and adding chemicals - pH is currently 7.4, alk is 100ppm, and FC is usually around 4ppm from day to day.

Has anyone with a vinyl pool ever had this issue and found a fix? Thanks for your help!

Mike

Attachments

• 20210607_200646.jpg
    20210607_200646.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 11
You might try replacing the treads. The unit depends on suction for much of its down force. When it is at an angle, the part of the cleaner where the suction is, is off the pool wall/floor reducing that down force. New treads might increase the coefficient of friction enough for it to climb the wall.

You might try replacing the treads. The unit depends on suction for much of its down force. When it is at an angle, the part of the cleaner where the suction is, is off the pool wall/floor reducing that down force. New treads might increase the coefficient of friction enough for it to climb the wall.
Thank you! That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to lead the conversation. The previous owner stored it outside for 4 years, so the tracks could be hardened/degraded by UV exposure... I'll put some OEM ones on order. Other than that, it's a great unit! Sure beats the manual vacuuming I've been doing for 5 years!

Just wanted to post a follow up that I just replaced the tracks and now the thing is climbing the walls in the deep end!!! It seems to be getting around better in general AND it did not get hung up on the main drain like it usually does - I still might get the clips for it though so I don't have to shut off the main drain when I run the robot. I got OEM tracks from Marina Pool for ~$35+shipping.

Thanks for your help!!!

Reactions: MITBeta and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.