Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I have had my S-200 for a couple of months now and really love it except for an issue I've been noticing lately. It seems to get hung up on my drain covers in the deep end some of the time and can't get itself off. It must not happen all the time because when I run it at night it'll end up back in the shallow end most of the time. Yesterday I was out by the pool while it was running a cycle and noticed it stuck. I waited to see if it could work itself off but after 15 mins I had to pull the cord to drag it off the cover. The filter wasn't running when this happened so it's just getting stuck on top of it. Does anyone else have this issue or know a workaround for it?

I'm having the exact same problem. Had the auto weekly timer (Active 20) set to every 3 days and still a lot of debri. Changed to every 2 days and the same thing. Changed to every day and the same thing. Then I noticed on this exact thread how it appears a recent batch of Active 20s is having issues with a 15-30 minute cycle so I decided to watch the cleaner last weekend. It's running a full cycle (2 hours) but it's getting stuck on the maindrains quite often. I would check it every 30-60 mins and about half the time it was stuck on a maindrain (note the maindrains were shut off too). Couldn't find a lot of info while doing research but solutions I've found were:

-decrease or turn off maindrain(s) (didn't work for me and I think having to shut the main drain off kind of defeats the purpse of an auto cleaner w/ timer... i try to run my pump over night but forget to shut it off or on)
-Polaris uni-cover - $61 (Polaris 5820 White Unibridge UniCover AV Main Drain Cover Inground Pool Cleaner - Walmart.com)
-I would see if any cheaper (knock off) versions of the unicover exist
-main drain clip - $19 (Main Drain Clip-On - Pool Maintenance Simplified)
-contacting Maytronics to send you (I believe for free) an impeller cover with an added "hood" that diverts the water back and provides a bit of forward "propulsion. (may or may not work)

I went w/ the main drain clips. you're supposed to have 2 per drain (in the shape of a plus sign for robots) but I don't see how why 1 wouldn't work so figured I'd start there. I actually just found out about the Maytronic's fix so if I could back in time I would have started with Maytronics and if that didn't work then searched for a unicover equivalent cheaper than the main drain clips. if no such equivalent existed then go with the clips. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Might make a separate thread since this one might be ignored by some. I know I don't follow it anymore and I started it.

So, I'm at the three year mark with my Doheny Discovery and it still just chugs along.... but, it is left in the pool about 75% of the time and the non swivel cord has started to deteriorate. The portion that is always submerged is kinda gummy and sorta crumbles. I'm trying to decide whether I should let it go until it dies, or change out the cord for the swiveling type and hope that it doesn't die right after. I know for a fact that I would order a new unit in a heartbeat if it died, but I really don't have space or a need for two robots.

Has anyone change out the cord on the S series? Any issues dealing up the connections? If I have to take it in to a certified shop out of warranty and have to pay for the parts/ labor, then I would rather buy a new robot.

Random question...I've had my Dolphin for a couple of months...love it! Bought from Marina and got a great deal with the "combo filter" everyone on TFP recommended.

Here's the random question....how long do the filters typically last? Has anyone had to replace, and what was cost? Just curious. I would imagine they will last a long time from what I've seen so far.

Cody, I can't vouch for the spring/rough filter, but the ultra fine filters lasted 5 years on an Oasis Z5 that recently died on me. Best thing I can recommend is to make sure the filters are clean before storing outside the pool. Marina has the replacement rough filter for your machine @ $48....the ultra fine's for $70.

Reactions: Cody
I have had my S-200 for a couple of months now and really love it except for an issue I've been noticing lately. It seems to get hung up on my drain covers in the deep end some of the time and can't get itself off. It must not happen all the time because when I run it at night it'll end up back in the shallow end most of the time. Yesterday I was out by the pool while it was running a cycle and noticed it stuck. I waited to see if it could work itself off but after 15 mins I had to pull the cord to drag it off the cover. The filter wasn't running when this happened so it's just getting stuck on top of it. Does anyone else have this issue or know a workaround for it?

Mine has this issue but its minor, it will free its self when it executes its next turn.

Hi:

My Dolphin S300 is not cleaning and climbing the walls like it used to. It’s 12 months old and is used daily during the season. Before I order the factory tracks and brushes, are there less expensive alternatives that function just as well? I’m willing to pay for factory parts, if needed. Vinyl pool. Thanks

How is the speed of the robot? Does it look like it is slowing down? What about the pressure of the jets? Do you get that big thrusts of water jet, or ripples of water when it's in the deep end. Maybe something is clogged in the propeller or you have a bad motor/ drive unit. I doubt the tracks or brushes are worn out, especially in a vinyl pool. Yours is still under warranty, so I would take advantage of the warranty while you can. I'm not sure that anyone has replaced the tracks or brushes on these units in this thread.

2thman,

Did you have any trouble getting in touch with Marina Pools & Spas? Over the past few days I've been trying to contact Margaret to order a robot, but my calls and an email haven't generated any response. I've just used their contact information on their website... 303-985-0077 and get their message machine. Thanks for any insight on if you had similar experience.

Sorry for late reply, wasn't monitoring forum.

I got through quickly both times - when I placed the order, and when I had to call 30 minutes after launch because the unit wasn't working properly - see my recent post here: active 20 problem, already

On my problem call, Margaret had a tech call me back - seems they are also bewildered by several units having the same issue - works, then stops. Mine only went about 15 minutes. And my pool was pretty clean as we tried a friend's (lower model) unit which worked really well a few days prior.

I am concerned over this manufacturing problem. I hope they are sending me a new unit, not refurb.

Less than 30 days (less than a domino's pizza delivery in my case), it goes back to Maytronics by prepaid label as a manufacturer's defect. After that, under warranty, you have to ship it back I believe.

Reactions: RyHack

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need to remind members of this VERY active thread not to perform customer service on TFP........that is not what we do.

It's fine to discuss general characteristics of your robot and fine to give a thumbs up about your particular machine but, as a policy, TFP does not endorse any one manufacturer or supplier and we don't want the appearance that we do.

Any customer service issue you have with a supplier needs to be handled directly with that supplier and the resulting dialogue should not be in public. It is perfectly acceptable to contact your supplier by private "conversation" through this forum but even better to go completely outside the forum and discuss your issues with them directly

Finally made it through the entire thread! I'm looking to replace my dead Aquabot Breeze XLS, and based on this thread am leaning heavily towards an S-series Dolphin. Just not sure which one makes the most sense for my 16x28 oval above-ground pool. I'm willing to pay more for features like wall/waterline cleaning if it's worthwhile, but don't want to needlessly buy too much. Will definitely want the caddy in any case. I know most of you have In-ground pools, but I'd love some advice here. Will definitely be buying from Marina's.

Wound up ordering the Active 30. I really wanted the caddy, so after rebate, it actually turns out $25 cheaper than the S200/Active 20 would have been, and just $100 more than the S100/Active 10 would have been. Seth was very upfront that the A30 is overkill for an above-ground pool, but said that the wall climbing/cleaning would definitely work. He wasn't 100% certain that the waterline scrubbing would work on the curved portions of the wall.

Scheduled to arrive this Thursday!

I am posting on this thread as it seems the most efficient. I am waiting for Marina to call me back (has been a week but I understand that is normal for them) to get a recommendation for the most appropriate Dolphin robot for my IG kidney shaped vinyl-liner pool (19x33 ft 9 ft deep end). I currently only have a manual cleaner and am considering a robot or automatic. I have no gas heater and solar Enersol system. The bottom drain was closed off a few years ago when we had a new liner installed so I'm worried about a cleaner getting stuck on it and wondering if that affects the job an automatic can do. Being in Canada, my local store only sells the Dolphin Encore ($799), T45 ($1329), and Premium ($1399). Although I can purchase from Marina and import a Dolphin, I don't want to have the same issue it seems recently happening with Marina/Dolphin units where they stop working and need to be sent back/warrantied/serviced. That will make me crazy. Can anyone chime in with a recommendation for a cheaper automatic cleaner (if it will work given my setup) and the best choice of these 3 Dolphin for my pool? I'm thinking the Encore (which looks similar to the Echo or Solo) will get hung up on that deep-end drain...but is it worth almost double to get the Premium? Would there be a more cost-effective automatic cleaner that will still work ok? Our season is pretty short and these things seem to die fairly quickly. I am not interested in anything fancy or a caddy. We have to take the cleaner in and out and store it in a shed regardless of what we purchase.

Made the Marina/Margaret S200 jump this week. Got through in two calls.

The inconvenience of trying to keep a relatively new Hayward Tigershark QC running, even in-warranty (but no service centers) became maddening. Bearings, motors, crazy.

Called on Monday and the cleaner is happily scrubbing the pool today.

Thanks for all the info and positive input at TFP.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSmitty
Purchased a S300i from Marina last month and I've got to say it was a great investment. I also have a pretty large pool (20x40) and the robot does a very good job. I run it 1-2x a week and it's definitely made maintenance much easier.
It’s almost been a year. How has it held up? And do the rotating brushes remove light algae when it does appear?

It’s almost been a year. How has it held up? And do the rotating brushes remove light algae when it does appear?

As evidenced by the 85 pages of posts, a lot of people own these and are pretty happy overall. My S300 is my second Dolphin and better in every respect than my first one, which worked great but was awful to clean. I've had mine for 4 years and it works like a charm. If it ever does break I would not hesitate buying another almost immediately (still have manual-vacuuming PTSD).

As evidenced by the 85 pages of posts, a lot of people own these and are pretty happy overall. My S300 is my second Dolphin and better in every respect than my first one, which worked great but was awful to clean. I've had mine for 4 years and it works like a charm. If it ever does break I would not hesitate buying another almost immediately (still have manual-vacuuming PTSD).

Hey Geebot,

You have probably owned an S series the longest out of all the normal posters and represent how most of us use them.. ie.. leave it in the pool longer than recommended, don't baby it, not complaining when it doesn't get that last leaf on the top step. What if anything have you replaced? I'm at three years with no issues, but I'm getting at the point where I might need to replace a few items. My cord is crumbling a little on its outer skin, my tracks are a little worn and the black anti drain back bag has a couple rips. I'm just not sure whether I should start spending money on parts or start saving toward my replacement. Thoughts?

Hey Geebot,

You have probably owned an S series the longest out of all the normal posters and represent how most of us use them.. ie.. leave it in the pool longer than recommended, don't baby it, not complaining when it doesn't get that last leaf on the top step. What if anything have you replaced? I'm at three years with no issues, but I'm getting at the point where I might need to replace a few items. My cord is crumbling a little on its outer skin, my tracks are a little worn and the black anti drain back bag has a couple rips. I'm just not sure whether I should start spending money on parts or start saving toward my replacement. Thoughts?

Bear in mind, I'm in Chicago and it's in continuous use for the season, but the season is April-early October.I have replaced the drain flap (about $6-$7), otherwise all original parts. Babied it first year and much of second year, cleaned after every use, rolled it back into the shed with the cord wrapped around the caddy. By season 3 we got lazier and left it in for several days at a stretch. The control panel was under a slight overhang, but often got wet. This season it has been in the pool since mid-April and runs nearly every day (sometimes more than once --- Dang silver maples!) The submerged part of the cord is well-bleached, as is the S300 housing. I am looking forward to the introduction of the iO and if it is really a big step forward I will bite (and I will likely baby it for about a year), otherwise the S300 has been a great buy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.