active 20 problem, already

thomasandanita

Mar 14, 2019
willis texas
just got the active 20 yesterday . very excited to put it in the pool and get it clean. about one month post construction and still has a lot of debris. well it worked for around 40 minutes, then just sat there. cycled on and off and it began to run for about 6 minutes and quit. removed it and cleaned the filters, put it away last night. tried again this evening. same results, runs about 6 minutes and quits. I don't get it, this was supposed to simplify my life. what to do now? any one have the same issues? thanks

I talked with Margaret at Marina, and she says that Maytronics has apparently narrowed down this issue to a specific batch of very recently shipped serial numbers. Contact the retailer where you bought the unit, and they'll make it right for you.

ThomasandAnita -- what's your pool temp?

I've been having a similar problem with my Pentair Prowler 930 -- it would run 20 min and then stop. Brand new. My Pool Builder gave me a loaner 930 that did the same thing. Now I have a loaner 920 and it is ALSO DOING THE SAME THING. A bad batch would make sense (these are all made by Maytronics, and they're all new machines).

But then last night I'd let my pool drift down from 90 to 84 or so, and the 920 ran for 90 minutes! It didn't pick up everything, but it was a lot better. I'd been telling my PB that maybe my pool was too hot, they'd told me no way, that wasn't it, but last I heard they were wondering. Most recently they told me that Pentair was looking into the problem. The literature says it runs best up to 90 degrees, so I really don't think the temp should be a long term problem.

Please let me know what you find out about serial numbers!

Similar problem - Received my Active 20 last week - excited to try it. Placed in pool, ran about 15 minutes then just stopped. Remote light still on. Basically a Non-Active 20 (didn't even get to 20).

Immediately called Marina Pool where I bought it. They asked if pool very dirty (actually was pretty clean because i had just used a friend's robot few days prior). Cleaned filter, minimal debris. Retried - ran about 4 minutes and stopped again. They were perplexed too because they have had a few do this now. I tried again the next morning too.

Getting ready to ship it back for another, but makes you wonder if it's worth it if it's malfunctioning so soon. That's why I'm on here seeing what others are experiencing. I'm replacing a Hayward suction cleaner that I've had since the pool was built 10 years ago. Makes me wonder if clean enough for 10 years may be better than more expensive really clean for hopefully 5 (from what I'm reading here) years?

Reactions: markayash
I'm having a similar problem with my brand new Active 20 as well. Runs a very short duration then shuts down. Try to restart it and it will move a few inches, stop, then move a few inches again, stop...and stay stopped. If I unplug it for a while and then try again, it will run for a short duration again (~15-20 min), then shut down. Going to call the supplier today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same here. Margaret @ Marina told me to not even unbox my new Active 20, that Maytronics was aware of the bad batch of units out there. She sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and as soon as Maytronics received the tracking number of my shipment to them, they had a new one sent right back out to me. Unit has been working perfectly this past week.

Reactions: lazygirl1978
My first Active 20 died like yours and they sent out a 2nd. The 2nd is now doing the same thing. In addition, my new one has a cord that tangles tightly and the robot falls off the pool wall a few feet before breaching the water.

Sending back for a refund. Hopefully I can find a more reliable model from Marina.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.