Wow. I'm in Florida, and we have always had a cat door to the back screened in area where the pool was installed. This door is pretty big - 8" wide x 12" tall - as we have 2 Maine Coons. This was never brought up as an issue by the builder, and the inspector never even looked at it.

If it were me, I would just install the steel barrier that came with the door the day of the inspection. I realize that there are rules for a reason, but if you look at the door, no kid is going through it. They might get their head through it, but no way their shoulders. If I thought it were an issue, when they visit, I would just install the steel barrier (mine has a locking mechanism).

She said if their were no kid or animal concerns.

My last pool we had little kids and little visiting kids concerns. It was a HUGE concern. A $8k fence for the pool only concern. But the dog was fine.

This time the kids are teens and could be lifeguards, but the new dogs might not be fine so I still have the concern.

Without either, it's not a concern.

The yard itself is fenced to code to remove the neighborhood concern.
I agree that everyone's situation is different at a certain point in time. Like you said at least everything should be secure to remove the neighborhood concern an then you only have to manage the risk when there is visitors involved. This is still not ideal but I understand the fact to have to add a 8k fence when the risk is low in your situation is frustrating so you might want to let this task to future owners.

I just wanted to say that we and more importantly the MOD should be careful when writing on the most popular pool public forum about Laws...

I have one example in my situation that unfortunately cannot applies to OP requirement that when I read the code I am not sure I can pass so it will be up to the inspectors to determine. My house is part of the safety fence for my pool and I have a door in my garage that you can directly access the pool area. What I did it to install a self closing mechanism and a coded door knob to be able to access the pool. Technically no kid or adult without the code is able to get into the pool area but the code text say that if the lock on the "fence" door is outside the pool area the lock need to be at 1.5 meter high. Obviously my coded door lock is not at 1.5 meter high but there is still no way a kid can open it...

So I my case I believe my solution is even more secure compared to a fence door since you cannot escalate it, use a chair to get access to the lock etc. and on top of that the self closing mechanism make the door very heavy to that young kids have hard time to open it when unlocked.

So I my case I believe my solution is even more secure compared to a fence door
It all depends on which inspector, or their mood that day to determine if common sense or the letter of the law prevails.
I agree that everyone's situation is different at a certain point in time.
Exactly. A 40something year old couple can laugh and laugh about the codes. But alls it takes is one grandkid on the way a short time later. And there will likely be a real QUICK change of thoughts on every inch of the property.
I just wanted to say that we and more importantly the MOD should be careful when writing on the most popular pool public forum about Laws.
In reality, most people remove their door and pool water alarms before the inspector even leaves the driveway. We certainly don't advise it, but we know they are going to. Discussing it makes them think the concerns through a second time and maybe even points out an angle that they didn't see the 1st time. This doggy door is really no different than the alarm discussion. If OP had a crawling baby, or a 4 year old that liked to go out with the dog, there is NO WAY they would have even entertained the thought. That doggy door would have already been sealed shut. :)

Let’s go ahead and force this discussion back on track please. The OP wasn’t really asking how to get “around” the code rather if anybody here has had any experience complying with the code, and how they did so. We can go round and round how we feel about the code, but at the end of the day it’s not gonna help the OP pass his inspection…….which is what we all want.

Reactions: Kj78unlv
2. Self-closing, self-latching pet doors approved by the building official.

I would ask your Building Official what pet doors he/she approves.

It is up to the Building Official and/or your Inspector to say what will be allowed in your house.

Reactions: Leebo
Also keep in mind that the codes in one town/city/state/province can vary WIDELY from another. In *my* county it wasn't even mentioned nor on any checklist.
For example- Some Florida pool owners had to change their window glass to meet code for a pool. A window!? That's a new one to me!?

depending on the size of the dog door labrador or jack russel
obviously whether a child could use it or not
if it is too small for a child
place a couch inside covering it and a collapsed card table or similar outside
what happens to the dog after will be your risk
but as earlier posted the electronic doors are self locking

Also keep in mind that the codes in one town/city/state/province can vary WIDELY from another. In *my* county it wasn't even mentioned nor on any checklist.
For example- Some Florida pool owners had to change their window glass to meet code for a pool. A window!? That's a new one to me!?
Yes, if the edge of the pool is closer than a specific distance (I think it's either 5' or 6'), then the window has to have safety glass in it in case someone falls into it. Think of a car windshield - it breaks, but glass doesn't scatter everywhere, it remains mainly intact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.