Does the salt water cell start over it's percentage of chlorination if cycled off and back on?

doug527

Apr 15, 2019
Fl
What I am asking is if you turn pool off and back on does the timer to chlorinator start over or does it resume where it was at time of powering off…In other words my chlorinator is set to 35% if I turn pool back on after it's daily 8 hour run will the chlorinator begin another cycle of chlorination?

Thanks

and If I am correct here if I turn pump back on after it's eight hour daily cycle It will start that chlorination cycle all over again…..So potentially you could raise chlorine levels if this was done on a regular basis? Which would give me the wrong impression that 35% is my correct setting...

35% of 8 hours is 168 minutes of chlorine generation. But due to the 180 minute cycle time you get 189 minutes of chlorine generation in 8 hours. Basically the same as if you ran for 9 hours. That is why you need to be aware of your SWG cycle time if you are turning it on and off during a day.

Last edited:
To help clarify:
As Allen mentioned, with your pump running continuously for 8 hours the SWG will generate for 189 minutes (63 minutes at the beginning of first three hours, then 63 minutes the beginning of hours 3-6 and then 63 minutes the beginning of the remaining two hours). After it stops, if you run it manually on the same day for another hour it will generate for that full hour and add another 60 minutes of production. That would result in a total of 249 minutes of production, 32% more than you intended.

To be clear, the numbers above only correlate with with my 35%?

So if I turn pump off and on to clean filter anytime during my eight hour run time, chlorinator starts it chlorinating process over? If after pump turns off at 6:00pm, I turn back on because wife likes to hear water features or because we have several people swimming, chlorinator starts all over again? If so how do you get around not over chlorinating?

The numbers quoted in the replies above only correlate to the 35%.
If you turn the pump on and off during your run time a 180 minute cycle will start over. It will continue to run 180 minute cycles until the pump shuts off.
If you turn it back on after your 6:00 PM shut off time it will start another 180 minute cycle. It will continue to run 180 minute cycles until the pump shuts off.
The chance of over chlorinating is slim but if you're concerned just set the SWCG to 0%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a SWG if your CYA if 60 your FC target is 4 and you would not "over chlorinate" until your FC got to 24. See FC/CYA Levels

A bit of extra FC generated will make no difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.