Does the PB have my schedule set too excessive?

dkode

Feb 1, 2020
Austin, TX
I'm trying to calculate how many times I'm turning over the pool and it feels like this schedule is extremely excessive. I think i can get away with 10% speed instead of 50% until 11pm and then off from 11pm to 8am?

Pump: Hayward Tristar VS 950

Filter High (100% speed)
• 9:00 am to 8:00 pm

Filter Low (50% speed)
• 8:15 pm to 8:00 am

Polaris Cleaner (booster pump):
• 9:30am to 11:00am

12k gallons
2" lines
2.5"-ish inch return?
Pump is 20 feet from pool, ~ 40 TDH

Pump: https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...f/literature/DLITTSVS95019_TriStar_VS_950.pdf
Tristar VS 950 (40 TDH) = 140 GPM, 8400 GPH
At 50% speed = 60 GPM, 3600 GPH

So by my schedule, the PB has this configured to turn over my pool 11.3 times

Haha. I think I should turn it down?

Last edited:
Pool turnover is a myth and not the way to determine pump run time. Please read...

You can turn it down to what your pool needs for cleaning and skimming.

Yeah, that is an odd schedule. It sounds like you need to determine the right RPMs and duration for your pool.

To find the RPMs, look at your skimmer weir door and adjust the RPMs down until the it doesnt stay down. Add 100 or so RPMs to that and that should be your "Low" speed to make sure you are skimming. Then if you want, you can bump up the speed a couple of times a day for extra skimming, running water features, etc.

Once you have those RPMs figured out, you can see how long you want to run it.

For reference, I run mine at 1500 RPMs 24/7. You can probably go lower, since you dont have a SWCG. Then for an hour in the morning and several hours in the evening, I kick it up to 2400 to get a bit more water movement, knock any leaves off the spa spillway, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.