Does the first appearance of Algae require a SLAM?

kathy58

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2019
southern maryland
Good Morning!
I am new to this process, and successfully completed our first SLAM on an 18,000 gallon in ground pool on Aug 12. It worked beautifully! I let the fc levels drop naturally, and the water is crystal clear. I maintained the pool at 11fc (we have cya of 80 and plan to reduce that with new water at the beginning of next season - only 2 more weeks left in this season for us now).
This morning I noticed a very light covering of algae on the floors and walls as I was brushing. Does this new appearance of algae require another SLAM? Can it be killed with a slightly higher level of fc or must we always go with SLAM levels?

Using the Taylor 2006 kit our readings are:
FC 11.5
CC 0
Ph 7.6
TA 80
CYA 80

Your thoughts appreciated!

Kathy,

In theory, if you had killed all the algae during the first SLAM you should not have algae now.. I suspect you killed most of it but not all..

Because the season is almost over, and you plan on new water next year, I would go with a little extra chlorine now and enjoy the pool while you can..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Diannapool22
If not now, next year, double check ladders, light niches etc. May have some semi hidden spots that allowed some algae to remain. Maybe a difficult to brush area?

Maybe not enough to affect OCLT, but enough to allow algae to take off again.

When you get a chance, put your pool info in your signature. It helps the experts and saves you typing it every post. Settings/Signature. See other posts for examples. If on phone, need to turn sideways to see them.

Good luck!

The algae around the ladder that may not have been brushed would not be killed in a SLAM? We passed the OCLT for 2 nights, but if it was a small amount, then perhaps that was the issue. I assumed the high fc would kill all of the algae it touched!

I assumed the high fc would kill all of the algae it touched!
Algae is surprisingly resilient. It creates a biofilm to protect it from harm. So brushing / disturbing it breaks that biofilm and the chlorine can attack it.

That is why brushing is so important to the success of the SLAM process.

Same exact thing happened to me.. no algae all summer, then when I went out of town for a week, some well-meaning friends were going to add liquid chlorine nightly for me. Well that didn't happen as well as I'd hoped.. they even sent me pictures as the algae grew. I should have just used some trichlor pucks since my CYA is only around 25-30 and have room to spare.

When I got back, I SLAM'd for about 5 days. The water was clear, OCLT passed, 0.5 to no CC, so I let the chlorine level come down and maintained the level. But the algae came back :(. I plan on keeping the pool open for a few more weeks, so I went ahead and started another SLAM today. The only thing I can figure is I didn't SLAM enough last time and there was still some algae left over. That or there was algae on the solar cover or something.. I might try to scrub it this weekend. There aren't too many places for it to hide in the pool..

I truly didn't appreciate the need to get every last spec of algae brushed. Thanks for stressing that to me now. I will be extra diligent next season. Just closed the pool today due to upcoming vacation and not wanting to ask someone to tend to it in our absence. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.