Does pool surface impact algae treatment?

Jul 14, 2016
Taylor, Texas
We purchased our home a little over a year ago. The pool is concrete / plaster and has been in the ground a long time (20+ years) and I've had nothing but issues maintaining the proper chemical balance in the water. I do a SLAM and the water looks great, and within days, I start getting a slight film of green algae on the sides and the water clouds. I've noticed that the surface of the pool is badly worn in spots and slightly pitted in others. I also notice that when I brush, a slight cloud of white comes off the sides.

Can these issues with the pool surface complicate algae treatment and pool chemistry? Our previous pool was fingerless and we never had issues like this. Would having the pool recoated help with the issue?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
J

A very rough surface will make it pretty difficult to eliminate all the algae as it will hide in the nooks and crannies.

Your signature shows Fiberglass?? You say plaster -- if plaster, sounds like it is time for a chipout and replaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.