Does low calcium cause cloudiness?

Hi! I see your FC levels are a little higher than normal and that you have some CC in the testing results. Did you just SLAM or have an algae problem? When I did the dead algae made the pool cloudy for a while, until my filter was able to clean it all out.

Ditto to what HiddenRiver wrote.
What type of pool do you have? If its vinyl you don't need to test for calcium.

As a side note - what got me started at TFP was when I could not clear up a cloudy pool after spending a lot of money trying all the chemicals the pool store people told me to use. I came back and talked to an employee who said the cloudiness was from TOO MUCH calcium and I had to drain the pool and he said he does not and would not ever own a swimming pool.
That's when I went on the internet looking for answers and found TFP. :lovetfp:

Hi! I see your FC levels are a little higher than normal and that you have some CC in the testing results. Did you just SLAM or have an algae problem? When I did the dead algae made the pool cloudy for a while, until my filter was able to clean it all out.

thank you for the response. I stopped SLAMing 4 days ago. But I keep fc level up when not in use just in case. Do I just wait for the filter to do its thing?

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto to what HiddenRiver wrote.
What type of pool do you have? If its vinyl you don't need to test for calcium.

As a side note - what got me started at TFP was when I could not clear up a cloudy pool after spending a lot of money trying all the chemicals the pool store people told me to use. I came back and talked to an employee who said the cloudiness was from TOO MUCH calcium and I had to drain the pool and he said he does not and would not ever own a swimming pool.
That's when I went on the internet looking for answers and found TFP. :lovetfp:

I have IG plaster pool.

No.

Nor does high Calcium, necessarily. I'm crowding four-figures with my CH and you can tell the screws holding my drain cover down are Phillips head through eight feet of water. If you recently added a bunch of Calcium Increaser or used a bunch of Cal-hypo "shock" it could cloud things for a day or so.

High or low TA won't cloud water, either.

Usually cloudiness is caused by algae. A high FC level and some intense, thorough brushing and some filter time will clear it.

No.

Nor does high Calcium, necessarily. I'm crowding four-figures with my CH and you can tell the screws holding my drain cover down are Phillips head through eight feet of water. If you recently added a bunch of Calcium Increaser or used a bunch of Cal-hypo "shock" it could cloud things for a day or so.

High or low TA won't cloud water, either.

Usually cloudiness is caused by algae. A high FC level and some intense, thorough brushing and some filter time will clear it.

I HAVE been using cal hypo shock after we had a pool party. But my cartridge filter doesn’t seem to do a good job of clearing. Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

The pool started out clear then as people started playing in the pool, it started getting a bit cloudy in the deep end. I’d love to get rid of this problem for good!!!!

I HAVE been using cal hypo shock after we had a pool party. But my cartridge filter doesn’t seem to do a good job of clearing. Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

The pool started out clear then as people started playing in the pool, it started getting a bit cloudy in the deep end. I’d love to get rid of this problem for good!!!!
For me, frequent brushing is the key. If I get lazy and skip it for a couple weeks, when I do brush, the pool is a cloudy mess for a day. It's like all the dust that hits the water sticks to the walls. Swimmers tend to do a good job brushing the walls, which clouds things. If I'm planning a big gathering, I brush daily for a few days prior, so there's no more dust to get disturbed.

Do what you can to improve circulation -- aim a return down to the deep end to keep that stuff in suspension so it can get filtered out.

Just noticing that you have a plaster pool and your CH is at 150. Seems very low. PoolMath says it should be 350-450.

I have a vinyl pool, so not well versed on CH, but I read TFP every day in the summer and have seen the plaster/CH discussions.

After pool parties, we always seem to get cloudy water before the day is thru. I do a SLAM which seems to work overnight and the next day. I've read some posts from members that bump up their FC levels a little before the party so it does not get cloudy afterwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.