Does high chlorine impact CYA test

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I had a little algea 5 days ago and over reacted and dumped in about 6 pds powder chlorine. Chlorine is still up around 13 and i by taylor kit and CYA looks to be around 140? Water is clear and chlorine level is dropping slowly. Should i wait and retest or drop and add fresh water

FC level does not effect the CYA test.

100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.

Plus, depending on what that powder chlorine was you either -

Raised your CYA by 20 (dichlor)

Raised your CH 15-20 (CalHypo)

When you see any algea, you shuld follow the directions in the SLAM article using liquid chlorine.

Plus, depending on what that powder chlorine was you either -

Raised your CYA by 20 (dichlor)

Raised your CH 15-20 (CalHypo)

When you see any algea, you shuld follow the directions in the SLAM article using liquid chlorine.

I know, my car is a convertible and has almost no trunk space. Plus my Wal-Mart hasn’t stocked the liquid stuff yet so i bought powder :(
May have to try home depot

Hmmmm.... Even worst case and you dumped trichlor in the pool, 6 pounds would only raise CYA by 20. What was your CYA level before that?
That’s why i confused, after refilling last year i used pool match and it said 6 pds, added 4 last year and 2 this year so shouldn't be that high. My tfp kit got soaked last spring ( pool room roof leak right above it )and sat so i tossed it but was running out of supplies anyway.
Just bought the taylor 2006

I have been using granular chlorine called Sodium Dichloro-s triazinetrione and the shock is Shock is Calhypo.
Water looks crystal clear and isn't dropping my chlorine level harly at all so will live with the high CYA, just have to remember that if I have to SLAM it.
Weird thing is 2 years ago before I had it reupholstered my CYA was at 100 and I didn't understand why..County water ever have CYA?
Here is my test from this morning

FC 20
CC 2.5 ( if I did it right )
pH 7.4
TA 110
CH 300
CYA 100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine is a gas. It must be tied up with something. Solid chlorine is either Trichlor or dichlor, were it is ties to CYA, or Cal Hypo, were it is tied to calcium.

Liquid chlorine, aka sodium hypochlorite, the chlorine is tied to WATER.

Reactions: markayash
Chlorine is a gas. It must be tied up with something. Solid chlorine is either Trichlor or dichlor, were it is ties to CYA, or Cal Hypo, were it is tied to calcium.

Liquid chlorine, aka sodium hypochlorite, the chlorine is tied to WATER.
Thanks, i never knew the difference. I have a plater pool so cal hypo would be safer

Cal Hypo is fine until your CH reaches 400 ppm. Then you get into a scaling tendency management issue.

Sodium hypochlorite is the best chlorine to use for daily maintenance.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.