does cal hypo outgas?

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD
I have an inline chlorinator. I started adding Cal Hypo granules to the my pool through the inline chlorinator.
My thought was the Calhypo would dissolve in the water in the chlorinator and be added to the pool.

Today when I added it and closed the top I heard a poping/cracking sound.
I added the Cal Hypo when the pump was not running and I was going to wait until the timer turned the pool in an hour.

The chlorinator is air/water tight.

I assume pressure built up because Cal Hypo out gasses in water?

Adding cal hypo to a chlorinator that has held trichlor can cause an explosion! Please do not do this!

Run you pump now and hopefully flush out the cal hypo. Stay away from that area for as long as you can to prevent personal injury in case an explosion occurs.

I have an inline chlorinator. I started adding Cal Hypo granules to the my pool through the inline chlorinator.
My thought was the Calhypo would dissolve in the water in the chlorinator and be added to the pool.

Today when I added it and closed the top I heard a poping/cracking sound.
I added the Cal Hypo when the pump was not running and I was going to wait until the timer turned the pool in an hour.

The chlorinator is air/water tight.

I assume pressure built up because Cal Hypo out gasses in water?
This was an incredibly bad thing to do.

The chlorinator is highly likely to explode.

Keep everyone clear until it can be made safe.

The reaction of trichlor with hypochlorite can result in rapid formation of nitrogen trichloride, which at high enough concentrations will detonate spontaneously with great violence.

You might need to call the fire department and ask them to help you make this safe.

Last edited:
74D80B76-FEE3-4D0E-BA2D-C7346F5FD539.png
bad things happen when u mix different types of chlorine! This one suffered the same fate. It can be a deadly mistake!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.